As the dust begins to settle on England’s abysmal Ashes tour, Graeme Swann remains one of the key men under the spotlight after his decision to walk away from cricket mid-way through the series.

graeme_swann_2501400bPhoto: The Telegraph

Australia completed their whitewash of Andy Flower’s men with their fifth successive rout two weeks ago, but it took just three Tests before Swann declared the time was right to call it a day. Admittedly, the Notts spinner waited until the Ashes were unsalvageable before walking away.
However, with England heading into a tricky transitional period, Swann has left his side weakened, without a top-class spinner and with one less big personality to lead a lost dressing room.

Flower admitted Australia’s triumph signalled the end of an era for the Three Lions, perhaps reflecting on his side’s weakening grip on world dominance that they have enjoyed for the past five years – much of it under former captain Andrew Strauss. However, the 45-year-old will be staying on in his role, as will the much-maligned captain, Alastair Cook, who, unlike Swann, believes that rocking the boat in knee-jerk fashion will not solve anything in the long run. Here, the spinner’s personality is all-important, in spite of his poor personal performance down under. Even before the tour began, eyebrows were raised over England’s complacent selection policy, drafting in inexperienced faces such as Gary Ballance and Michael Carberry, so Swann was vital as a boisterous character capable of supporting Cook.

In terms of spinners, England will struggle to find a replacement for Swann. Monty Panesar has proved a sufficient back-up, but lacks the variety in his bowling to lead the attack, while Simon Kerrigan lacks international caps and struggled when he was given them. Swann, of course, is not the first high-profile sportsman to leave his team in the lurch, nor will he be the last.Most recently, US basketball superstar Michael Jordan walked away in his prime when he became tired of the game and his relationship with coach Jerry Krause became increasingly strained. Though, crucially, Jordan did not leave his team in such a pivotal period. The heavyweight boxer, Rocky Marciano, also let no-one down when he retired undefeated. He was the only heavyweight champion to do so in the sport’s history – after just five years of fighting.

It is certainly not unheard of for athletes to fall out of love with their trade, or choose to walk away at the top. Eric Cantona swapped Manchester United for Hollywood aged just 30, and it is understandable when players quit for fear that their best days are behind them. These were the reasons Swann gave as he waved goodbye to one of the most prolific international careers of the modern era, but his off-field conflicts are still trickling into the headlines.
His battles with Kevin Pietersen over the batsman’s reckless style at the crease and conceited antics away from it have hit the news, and it would appear there is more to Swann’s retirement than meets the eye.

If disputes, albeit ones that could be resolved in a team that were more ‘together’, were indeed the deciding factor, then it will be difficult to justify Swann’s retirement from a team in dire need of leadership and unity. It will be intriguing to see how England fare as they attempt to survive losing their best spinner.