Tequila and DIY Punk: introducting Gringos

Whether it be slamming back the eclectic mix of tequila shots at the bar or immersing yourself in Norwich’s finest DIY gigs, Gringos Mexican Tequila Bar has stapled itself into the hearts of many.

In June 2014, Andrew and Ellen Skalli set out to create East Anglia’s first Tequila Bar. I spoke to Andrew about what his aim was with Gringos. He explained that “it was to give people an education that Tequila is not just the shot you do with lemon and salt”, he goes on to say that it is “something that makes amazing cocktails and amazing flavoured shots.” Gringos creates a friendly atmosphere for all its clientele and gives Norwich a place for its culture to shine through.

In terms of a music venue, Gringos has without a doubt become the most accessible venue for live music in Norwich. The venue does not charge a deposit for promoters or bands to put on gigs, and refuses to take a cut from any ticket money made. Andrew explains that it all started when “we received messages from bands asking what we would charge to put on a show. I replied with: “nothing. We have a PA if you want to use it”. The rest is history. Gringos encapsulates the essence of what makes people fall in love with their local DIY music scene. Offering a platform for local promoters and bands strengthens this community and allows those involved to enjoy the night without the worries of failing to break even.

In terms of upcoming events, Gringos has something to offer to everyone. If you want to be transported back to 2007 and listen to indie bangers all night, Bloghaus will satisfy your needs on December 23rd. Or if you want to fully experience the intense nature of Norwich’s finest screamo bands, get down to see Maths and Algae Bloom on October 26th. If music isn’t even your thing, Gringos hosts numerous FIFA competitions throughout the year with prizes to all those who win (I meant it when I said they offer everything).

So next time you find yourself down Prince of Wales Road, make sure to pop into Gringos and see for yourself why so many are deeply attached to it. Andrew sums up that “no matter how you dress, what music you like, how much money you earn a year, we all have Tequila in common; good and bad stories…”

24/10/2017

Joe Macguire

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3