Editor's column

Thank you, Concrete

Welcome to Concrete’s eighth and final issue of the year. This publication prompts mixed feelings of both intense pride for our accomplishments and sadness that our time together as the 2021-22 Concrete team has now come to an end.

I’d like to take a moment to celebrate Concrete’s success at the 2022 Student Publication Association Awards. As a publication, we were shortlisted for seven categories, including being recognised as one of the top ten student publications in the entirety of the UK.

I also take great pleasure in being able to say that Concrete won ‘Best Science Section’! Huge congratulations to our Science Editor Mariam Jallow who has worked unbelievably hard to deliver engaging, informative, and fun science content this year. A great deal of thanks also needs to go to our Science Senior Writer George Barsted who has worked with Mariam to produce an incredible number of high-quality pieces. And finally, thank you to everyone who has either written for or somehow taken part in this section this year – all of you, in some way or another, have helped to make it the best science section in the UK.

Attending the conference and awards night on behalf of Concrete was a truly wonderful experience.  On a personal level, I was honoured to be highly commended for the Billy Dowling-Reid Award for Outstanding Commitment. In my acceptance speech, I thanked the Student Publication Association, my friends and family (particularly my partner Will and my lovely mum), and, last but not least, the Concrete team. In my first editorial of the year, I wrote that I was looking forward to seeing how the Concrete team continued to flourish over the coming year, and flourish they most certainly have. 

The Venue Senior Editors, Fizz, Hamilton, and Molly have made their mark on our arts supplement and I’m sure their work will be studied by generations of Venue Editors to come. I am endlessly proud of our Section Editors who have committed themselves to their sections with admirable passion, ensuring our pages have always been full of brilliant content. Our Senior Writers’ dedication is also much appreciated and this year I have been particularly pleased with the reliable relationships they have struck with our Section Editors. 

It’s been a pleasure to witness the success of Concrete’s first ever Breaking News team, ensuring consistent coverage of the globe’s most urgent topics. I’d also like to thank our support teams, the Copy Editors, Online Editors, Lead Photographer, and Social Media Manager, for their behind-the-scenes work on the paper, our website, and social media channels.

What’s next for me? I’m delighted to announce that I have accepted a position as a Trainee Reporter at Archant, who will kindly be putting me through my NCTJ and NQJ qualifications. Even though my time at Concrete has come to an end, I shall never forget all the wonderful experiences, invaluable opportunities, and inspirational people. It has been an absolute privilege to lead the Concrete team as your 2021-22 Editor-in-Chief.

03/05/2022

Dolly Carter

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031