Fashion

The best small, female-owned brands to spend your pennies on

One of the best ways to show your support for International Women’s day this year – and a way of supporting women in business during all seasons – is to make the effort to shop from independent, female-owned brands. Now, more than ever, our support is needed to keep these small, sustainable businesses running, helping entrepreneurial women overcome one more hurdle they needn’t face. With so many creative, female-led brands to choose from, there’s no need to look elsewhere!

A current, personal favourite of mine is The Norah Store, based in Stockport. Though it began as a vintage shop, reselling a variety of beautiful, sustainably sourced clothing from past eras, the brand has expanded to stock a variety of slow-fashion brands including Lisa says Gah, Baggu and Lotta from Stockholm – all of which are also owned by women from around the world. The Norah Store carefully curates each item they sell, describing this curatorial process as one that “focuses on quality over quantity”, ensuring that each item of clothing is delivered to the shopper with the promise of longevity. All of The Norah Store’s products are available to buy through their online store www.thenorahstore.com

Closer to home, Benjamin Fox, based in Norfolk, is run by one-woman-band, Ciara. Using a mix of sustainable, deadstock and ex-designer fabrics, Ciara creates joyful, feminine clothes with a vintage feel. Owing to their timeless appeal, the garments have been featured in the likes of Elle and Grazia. Benjamin Fox’s clothing and accessories can be purchased on https://www.benjaminfox.com.co
Of course, there are hundreds of sustainable, female-owned brands to choose from – including, but not limited to, Mary Benson London, Chalk Jewellery, RhiDancey and Elsie and Fred. So, if you’re looking to treat yourself anytime soon, or are looking to buy a Mother’s Day present, perhaps try purchasing from an independent, woman-owned store. Not only will you be supporting a small business during precarious times, but you will also be supporting sustainable production led by female creatives. Everyone’s a winner.

02/03/2021

Elizabeth Woor

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930