Fashion

The best sustainable period products for all budgets

Reducing our single use plastic consumption is something we should all be trying to do wherever possible, especially when it comes to period products. Every year, 200,000 tonnes of waste are produced through disposables such as tampons, applicators and sanitary towels. However, with period poverty rates constantly increasing and sustainable products costing significantly more than their more conventional counterparts, there’s a lot of obstacles in the way for people to make the switch. Obviously, periods are such a personal thing and there’s no one size fits all solution, but if you want to try something different, here are a few suggestions! 

I had been putting off swapping to a more sustainable period option for a long time, and only recently made the switch from tampons to a menstrual cup, but I can honestly say I’ll never look back! Mine is from Grace & Green, and I made use of a student discount (thanks UEA!). It’s so much comfier, more convenient and has definitely been one of the best impulse purchases I’ve made in lockdown! Grace & Green also offer cruelty free, vegan & compostable pads and tampons for those who aren’t keen on the big adjustment of a menstrual cup.

My switch inspired my housemate, who is slightly Etsy-obsessed, to do some digging. She discovered a whole host of some of the cutest handmade reusable pads – EcoLibby and RagHagShop are my favourites! Again, these are more expensive than a normal pack of pads, but will almost definitely end up saving you money in the long run. 

If you’re interested in trying out some of the sustainable options, UEA’s Bloody Good Period have set up a menstruation station in the Library where people can access standard disposables as well as cups and period pants for free! 

13/04/2021

Emily Kelly

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31