Athletics

Are you interested in joining athletics whilst at university or simply looking for a fun and easy way to get fit? Then we are the club for you! The UEA Athletics Club prides itself on being one of the friendliest and accepting clubs on campus – everyone is welcome to join. Whether you are a keen runner, have never run before, or are looking for a social way to get fit, there is a space for you.

New to the club this year is a focus on beginners running, with a session led by the students every Friday providing new and exciting running routes around campus. The club are also looking to host a weekly 5km parkrun route around the campus lake and grounds every Saturday morning. Parkrun is not a race, therefore everyone is encouraged to participate, regardless of personal goals.

For more information please visit our website, www.ueaathletics.wix.com/ueaathletics, or find us at the Sports Fair. We look forward to welcoming you to UEA Athletics this year! Sophie East

Cheer Dance

With Four National Champion titles, two Union Awards, top-three ranking iat every competition we’ve ever entered, we are the most successful sports team at UEA. So why are we so fabulous?

Being a sport that many individuals have not encountered before, it seems easy to stereotype. Although it must be said we love glitter, bows and pom poms, you don’t have to have years of experience performing with the Russian ballet or have the flexibility of an acrobat to join.

UEA Angels Cheer Dance is for everyone; from the completely inexperienced to the professionally trained. If you want a way of meeting new people from freshers to PhD students, to keep fit in an exciting way without the pressure of the gym, or want to try a new dance discipline with a competitive edge, we can cater for you.

Cheer Dance uses disciplines similar to both Street Jazz and Hip hop, yet we as a team perform routines focused on precision and accuracy, using elements such as cannons, jumps and formations. All our routines are choreographed by three highly talented UEA students. With a relaxed and friendly vibe, our Derby Day squad is open to everyone, with sessions focused on rehearsing for the annual competition against Essex University. We also have Comp Squad and, new for 2014-15, the Small Pom squad; both for individuals wanting to up the difficulty level, with auditions to be held in October.

This year we have three practice sessions booked over the week. Dates and times will be released in due course. Feel free to follow us on twitter @UEAangels and on Facebook (UEA Angels Cheerleading – Dance), or check out our website (theueaangels.moonfruit.com). We look forward to seeing you soon. Cheer love!

Cycling

At UEA Cycling Club, we’ve made some big changes over the summer that are really going to benefit our members. Thanks to sponsorship from local bike shop Streetlife Cycles, we’re able to affiliate with British Cycling which will, for the first time, allow our members to race as ‘UEA-Streetlife Cycles’ in competitions.

We’re becoming more inclusive, and we want to implement a real community ethos to give the club a ‘society’ feel. With a greater number and variety of socials, our members will have access to training via regular rides and gym sessions, competitions and casual events. Furthermore, we’re looking to organise a charity ride and a new university competition hosted by UEA over the course of the year. The Club also has its own kit which is available for members.

Don’t have a bike? Don’t worry, we have three specialised road bikes available for our members to borrow, and you can benefit from all this for £10 for the year – so come and meet people, have fun, and get fit at UEA Cycling Club. Ross Perkins

Futsal

After an incredibly successful year for the Futsal first team, who won promotion to the top midland division in the country, narrowly missing out on winning the league cup double, the club is in a phase of expansion, not only introducing a men’s second team but also a women’s team to compete in BUCS competitions.

Futsal is a fast-paced, five-a-side indoor form of football played across the world which has been rising in popularity in recent years. The game focuses on technical skill, quick feet and movement off the ball and has subsequently produced some of footballs greatest players from South America, including Messi, Kaka, Pele, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Neymar. But this flow of talent is not exclusive to the home of football, with top European players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Xavi, Fabregas, Deco and David Villa all having backgrounds playing the sport.

Here at UEA, Futsal is one of the fastest growing clubs, helped by its recent successm and is seeking players of all abilities and genders to get involved with the club.

On Sunday 21st September from 10:00 (in the Square) and 11:00 (on the 3G), Futsal will be holding a showcase session in the Square for anyone to come along and watch, and challenge, some of the current team in a three-by-three skills tournament. Alternatively, find us at the Sport Fair to sign up for trials and training for the coming season. Have you got what it takes? Joe Atkinson & Ed Dodman

Korfball

Korfball is one of UEA’s biggest and most successful student sports clubs. Never heard of it? Korfball is a mixed sport, designed to allow both sexes to compete equally, striking a balance somewhere between basketball and netball.

At UEAKC we cater for all abilities and levels of competitiveness. We have 6 teams playing regularly in local leagues, and attend a large number of university and club tournaments in the UK and Europe. Recently we have experienced a lot of success nationally and continue to grow every year. Training sessions are held every Wednesday from 5-7pm, open to all.

But it’s not all about the sport; we pride ourselves on being a very social club, with events planned most weeks to appeal to all members. These can range from traditional nights out in the LCR to large group events into town such as bowling or just a Nandos.

Come and talk to us at the sports fair to find out more, meet some of our members and sign up! Callum Harney

Rowing

Rowing is one of the most engaging and exciting sports you can participate in at UEA. Perfecting your technique quickly becomes an obsession, one which gives back all the effort you put in. Every drop of sweat, blood and tears (trust me, there will be tears) will be worthwhile when you cross the finish line knowing that you have delivered the results.

Our boat club is competitively involved in local and national racing events throughout the year. We welcome new rowers and coxes from all levels of experience, holding ‘learn to row’ courses at the beginning of the year to get all novices race ready for as early as November.

The time spent together training and at our regular socials forges strong friendships, making you no longer just teammates, but a family. We fight for each other on the water and cheer our other crews on from the bank, revelling in each other’s successes as much as our own. You will always find immense support at UEA Boat Club, and we can guarantee it will make your university experience like no other. We hope to see you on the water soon. Ruth Underwood

Skiing

Promising to give you an intoxicatingly great time, UEA Snow is the biggest sports club on campus, full of students who love skiing, snowboarding and partying!

Among our packed social calendar, we hold lessons and dry-slope sessions for people with all levels of experience. If you’ve never skied or boarded before and want to give it a try, come and see us! For the more advanced, we attend competitions around the country and have close ties with massive sponsors.

The highlight of the year is the biggest and best trip to hit UEA, the winter snow trip. In January 2015, UEA Snow will be taking over 200 snow-loving students to Val Thorens, in the French Alps. Expect hilarious nights out, crazy aprés, and of course some brilliant riding. You don’t have to have a SAM card to come on our trip, and it’s open to everyone, so bring your friends!

You can find out more at ueasnow.co.uk. We look forward to getting to know you! Chris Paton

Swimming

The UEA Swimming Club is a club for all and is one of the university’s five Focus Sport clubs. As a non-impact sport that exercises the whole body, swimming is perfect for keeping fit, increasing muscle tone and even resolving injuries. Furthermore, the club is a friendly and close knit team. We train together, we compete together and we socialise together.

We cater for those who wish to simply keep fit and those aiming for national-qualifying times. We take part in BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) Short Course (25m) Championships, Long Course (50m) Championships and Team Championships. We are one of the most successful sports clubs in Derby Day and also participate in ‘friendly’ inter-uni galas and Masters meets whenever possible.

In addition to competitions, club socials take place throughout the year, from bowling to the nights out in the city, and we volunteer within the local community by helping to run schools galas – all to help you boost your CV!

We are a large and active club, with so much going on – so please find out more by getting in touch (communications.ueaswimming@gmail.com), visiting our Facebook group (UEA Swimming Club 2014/2015) or our website (ueaswimclub.wordpress.com). Clare Bartington

Women’s Rugby

What Women’s Rugby at UEA can offer for you is a strong team you’ll be proud to be a part of, and an inclusive atmosphere free from cliques. Rugby is a fresh alternative to those long nights in the library and training – believe it or not – will soon become the highlight of your week.

We train twice a week, on Mondays and Fridays, and after our league starts in October.We have matches almost every Wednesday. However, no prior experience is necessary and we won’t turn away anyone with a desire to learn. You will learn everything that you need to know at training.

We have plenty of different kind of socials, and any newcomers will be fully included into the social side of the club. Friendship off the pitch is our driving force towards a strong and efficient team. We look forward to welcoming you! Jatta Vuorinen