Fashion, Venue

The Criticism behind Molly-Mae Hague Landing Top Position at Pretty Little Thing

Influencer and former Love Island contestant, Molly-Mae Hague has landed a job as Creative Director at the fast-fashion phenomenon Pretty Little Thing. The brand is one of many owned by the Boohoo Group, with Hague to oversee the launching of creative assets at a high level – advertisements, products, and creative strategies. But should we be celebrating this achievement?

Hague has received criticism for taking on this new role. Some feel it is unfair to appoint the influencer instead of those trained in the needed qualifications. Others focus their energy on the prevalent issues within the fast-fashion company. 

For example, Pretty Little Thing has received backlash after the alleged underpaying of garment workers. In a 2020 investigation, PLT’s parent company Boohoo was found to pay its factory workers less than half a living wage at £3.50 an hour. Aside from these shocking discoveries, fast fashion’s neglect for garment workers is becoming widespread knowledge – with this investigation further highlighting the dark side of the industry.

But some have deemed it unfair to criticise Hague for taking the role, as she has not been able to voice where she stands with the company’s controversies. However, Hague’s association with PLT since leaving the villa in 2019 had her become a brand ambassador before securing three collaborations with them. Therefore, more criticism follows, as this contradicts the idea that she had no time to assess her standing on PLT’s ethics. The idea is that Hague has had excess opportunities to comment on their controversial ethics and to raise her voice against it. 

This sticky situation has stirred additional online activism. Activist and writer Gina Martin responded to Hague’s Twitter announcement, saying: “Would love to see you use your new influence, leverage, and power to push for your garment workers to be paid above a living wage!”

While an opportunity of a lifetime potentially scoring millions, the criticisms weigh that it is irresponsible to accept a role without addressing the problems within the fashion industry. As Hague has yet to address such issues in the past three years, we can only hope that it will one day be on the brand’s radar. Hopefully, her new role will see an improvement in valuing their workers and reducing landfills, but we can only wait and see. 

14/09/2021

Lauren Bramwell

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930