Arts, Film

The Death of Cinema?

Will cinema die out because of this Covid-19 pandemic? In the short term, possibly, but in the long-term, no. 

Producers that have films coming out for release within the next few months, such as ‘Mulan’ or ‘Peter Rabbit 2’, will have to think of a plan for their release, possibly hold off the release, or look to release on other platforms such as Sky. DreamWorks released ‘Trolls: World Tour’ to Sky for viewers to rent or buy. Some studios have released their movies earlier, so that audiences in self-isolation can enjoy themselves. 

Universal boss Jeff Shell said: “Universal Pictures has a broad and diverse range of movies with 2020 being no exception. Rather than delaying these films or releasing them into a challenged distribution landscape, we wanted to provide an option for people to view these titles in the home that is both accessible and affordable.”

However, most big budget movies have decided to postpone their release dates. For example, ‘A Quiet Place II’ was set to be released 20 March 2020, but has now been pushed back to 4 September 2020, and ‘Black Widow’ will hit cinemas on 6 November 2020, rather than in May. 

So, I don’t think we will see the death of cinema. In the long-term, audiences will be returning to cinemas as we use this form of media as an escape and for the experience of “the big screen”. We can expect to see many more feature films to come to our home screens, such as Disney’s ‘Frozen II’ which will be released on Disney+ earlier than June. Disney CEO, Bob Chapek, explained that this was because of the film’s “powerful themes of perseverance and the importance of family messages that are incredibly relevant.”.

05/05/2020

Caitlin Telford