Gaming, Venue

The Elder Scrolls 6: What We Know So Far

Fear not, there will be a new Elder Scrolls game (eventually).

When it comes to The Elder Scrolls 6, Bethesda have certainly kept quiet. Nearly a decade after the release of Skyrim, fans of The Elder Scrolls series are eager for all the secrets surrounding its sequel to be unveiled. While there is minimal information regarding its storyline and release date, The Elder Scrolls 6 is on its way, albeit slowly but surely.

So far, we know that we can expect at least a few more years of waiting. Bethesda is working hard on finishing Starfield which is expected to be released next year, undoubtedly taking priority over The Elder Scrolls 6 at the moment. As well as this, Phil Spencer has hinted that we will most likely see Fable 4 before the newest Elder Scrolls game.

Whilst we are still unaware of the full title, it is not going to be “Redfall” as many people initially suspected, as Zenimax now owns this title.

Over 3 years ago, Bethesda released a teaser trailer, but this very brief clip perhaps creates even more questions, essentially revealing little to nothing aside from confirming the fact that we can eventually expect to see the game on our screens (one day). It seems that it is still very much in its early stages, which has been confirmed by Bethesda’s Todd Howard. He has also raised questions as to whether technology can “handle” what they would like the game to do.

In relation to which platforms we can expect to see The Elder Scrolls 6 available on, Phil Spencer has stated that forthcoming Bethesda games will be available exclusively on Game Pass. This means that users of newer Xbox consoles have nothing to worry about, but PlayStation fans are potentially out of luck. 

The location of The Elder Scrolls 6 is also yet to be revealed, but many fans suspect it may be set in Hammerfell, which has been an ongoing rumour for years. Bethesda posted a Tweet in December 2020 displaying a map of Tamriel with certain regions lit up, captioned with the cryptic message “Transcribe the past and map the future”. This has led many people to believe that the next game (the future) will be in Hammerfell as this is where one of the lights is placed. Hammerfell mainly consists of deserts and dry land, and is home to the Redguards, known as some of Tamriel’s finest warriors. Although this is still a rumour, it is interesting to imagine the new game being set here as it is very different from Skyrim, which is full of forests and water. However, there is also speculation that it could be set in High Rock, which fans have deciphered from the appearance of the location featured in the games’ very short trailer.

Fans will also be pleased to hear that Bethesda is planning on running Elder Scrolls 6 using a new engine. As much as we all love Skyrim, there is no denying that it has its faults and often fails to run smoothly (particularly on Xbox consoles). This change will be exciting to see and makes the long wait feel worth it.

Much like Oblivion and Skyrim, it seems that the developers of The Elder Scrolls 6 are aiming for it to be a game that can be replayed over and over, which was revealed by Howard in an interview with IGN. Again, this is something fans can look forward to, as Skyrim has proven that there are practically endless different ways to play, as we are able to mod it and choose different paths and sides, making the experience of repeatedly starting from scratch exciting.

So, in spite of the long wait ahead, The Elder Scrolls 6 is definitely something to look forward to in the future. In the meantime, replaying Skyrim will do.

17/08/2021

hollyjackson

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930