Arts, OldVenue

The Evolution of Art

From the earliest cave paintings to contemporary street artists, the human race has exhibited its will to create. The history of art journeys through individual efforts to exemplify the emotional and intangible realms of our reality.

Frida Kahlo

Photo:Tom Abbot: Dot a Line Illustration, Portrait

Art in image, film, sculpture, literature, theatre, architecture and in any other form is communication. The subjectivity of art is to be found in what is being communicated. You may study art, define paradigms into which artworks belong, but intellectualising art can only ever add context. If we were capable of defining artworks definitively, then we would no longer discuss them.

Art is infinite and belongs to those who experience it. In the words of Mark Rothko “one does not paint for design students or historians but for human beings, and the reaction in human terms is the only thing that is really satisfactory to the artist.”

Art will exist in its limitless freedom as long as humans exist, for it is everywhere and for every one of us and not limited to academia.

As Frida Kahlo once said, “I [would] rather sit on the floor in the market of Toluca and sell tortillas, than have anything to do with those ‘artistic’ bitches of Paris.”

07/05/2013

admin This is the website admin, an account used by the online editor. Email concrete.online@uea.ac.uk if you spot an error or have a question.