Travel

The foods that every tourist should try

Travelling the world and experiencing new cultures and traditions has always been a passion of mine. A huge part of understanding and gaining knowledge about other countries is through trying foods authentic and particular to that culture. I’ve always been eager to try new cuisines as a country’s traditional dishes can give you an insight into their history, society and the way they have developed over time. There is so much to learn through eating food!

I am from Bermuda and our national dish is fish chowder. Setting it apart from other traditional chowders some of the ingredients are local fish, tomato puree and black rum to name a few. Dark ‘N’ Stormy is the national drink of Bermuda and is made with Goslings Black Seal Rum and ginger beer. This cocktail is a huge part of our culture, drunk by most locals and it reminds me of summers on the beach with friends.

While visiting Canada, I travelled to Toronto and toured a vineyard where grapes were being grown to be made into ice wine. Ice wine is a Canadian dessert wine made from frozen grapes, and it always brings back memories of that summer. Of course, there is nothing like tasting maple syrup from Canada. Waking up on a Sunday morning, making pancakes and pouring over warm, sticky, sweet maple syrup is a ritual that cannot be forgotten easily. Nanaimo bars are a Canadian dessert with three layers consisting of a wafer crumb base, custard icing layer and chocolate on top. These bars are so delicious and definitely a must-try.

Going on a Mediterranean cruise, I visited several cities and countries. It is a great way to travel to many places in a short period of time. Visiting Spain, I would recommend experiencing tapas and their one of a kind traditional paella. Eating croissants and macarons in France is a must. Nothing beats having freshly made pizza in Italy, visiting a local Sicilian bakery and ordering a cannoli, buying Torrone in Pisa after taking pictures with the leaning tower and eating gelato whilst exploring and walking the streets of Rome.

The US is somewhere I’ve been quite a lot since most of the states on the east coast are only a short plane journey away. Travelling to Boston, Massachusetts last summer was one of the best trips I’ve had in terms of food. The fresh seafood is extraordinary, particularly the lobster. An iconic American treat is S’mores. Made with layers of graham crackers, roasted marshmallows and chocolate, they bring back memories of camping with my friends sitting around the fire.

A few summers ago I went on a Baltic cruise where I ate pretzels and apple strudel in Berlin, Danish pastries in Copenhagen, tasted the best strawberries I’ve ever had in Stockholm and ate cloudberries in Helsinki. On my birthday I visited Tallinn and ate sugar spiced almonds whilst roaming the cobblestone roads and observing the historical buildings. Russia was particularly special – visitingPushkin, St Petersburg and eating beef stroganoff in a small restaurant near by, surrounded by beautiful gardens and apple trees.

Being more adventurous and trying new dishes is so important: you can learn so much about a place and its people just by tasting their food.

08/03/2016

AmeliaOatley