The Rise of Skywalker was released in December last year and follows Rey, Finn and Poe in their latest galactic adventure. Before I watched the film, I hoped that the film’s narrative would feature the confrontational relationship between Kylo Ren and Rey in the hopes that they would unite against the Dark Side and lead the rebellion to victory. This hope was not made in vain as both Rey and Kylo Ren defeated Palpatine and the First Order by uniting their power. However, the ending of the film was predictable. It was inevitable that Kylo Ren would fall away from the First Order but his death was frustrating because it forced Kylo Ren’s and Rey’s relationship to an end, when really their story line was one of the most interesting elements within the trilogy. 

One of the greatest plot twists within The Rise of Skywalker was the revelation of Rey’s identity (a question featured in both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi). She was dramatically revealed to be Palpatine’s granddaughter. Although this shocked the audience, the story line obviously mimics Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker’s relationship where the child is abandoned to protect them from their evil and powerful family member. 

I also have to commend the film’s handling of Carrie Fisher’s death and the clever usage of cut scene footage from The Force Awakens to enable Princess Leia to feature in the narrative. 

On the whole the film was entertaining but I’m left feeling unsatisfied with the film’s ending. Perhaps it’s a miss on JJ Abrams film writing or perhaps this is a deliberate attempt to entice the audience to watch future Star Wars films, I guess we will have to wait and see.