Gaming

The Gaming Heaven of Sin City

On the casino floor of the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, the HyperX Esports Arena sits neatly in the corner, its lobby full of high-spec PCs and a chair made out of RGB keyboards. The custom Red Bull fridge is a welcoming icon in the doorway. Behind, the arena stretches out as a 30,000 square foot multilevel space, with a 50 foot LED video wall, VIP rooms, box suites and a broadcast centre. The Luxor Hotel is set on the Las Vegas Strip in between the magical towers of the Excalibur Hotel and the golden shine of the Mandalay Bay. The hotel is abuzz with activity all hours of the day and tourists mill around like ants, drunk casino goers mixed in with families excited to see the famed magic and dance acts revered around the world.

I was lucky enough to visit the arena on June 30, held that evening was a 1v1 Wednesday, a weekly tournament which anyone can enter and compete in League of Legends, Windjammers and Street Fighter V. The prize pool came to a combined $300 and all abilities entered. Saturday nights held Mario Kart, and there are often Pokemon Gym Battles, making it a gamer’s haven. Also inside the venue there is an American style restaurant serving burgers, fried chicken, and specialties such as their Philly cheesesteak. The bar served amusingly named gaming themed cocktails such as the Chug-Jug, Pikachu, Bowser, and Mega Man. For the lucky gaming fans, the arena has PCs and all manner of consoles available to be played, with a game library numbering the hundreds and decked out streaming spaces for those wanting to stream themselves online. The streaming space itself is in collaboration with. Viewsonic and the rates start from $20 an hour. The PC is an intel i7-8700 with a GeForce RTX 20180 graphics card. It has liquid cooling and two 27 inch 240Hz monitors, the room is fully tricked out with the latest HyperX mouse, headset and keyboard. The arena boasts of its private and secure network, allowing gamers to log into their accounts without worry.

The arena is the home of the NHL World Gaming Championship, the Triple Crown Royale, League of Legends All Star and the Capcom Cup. It is also available for birthday parties, tours and even rental of the whole venue. Overall the arena is an exciting and dynamic venue for gaming fans. They sell merchandise – I couldn’t help picking up a branded hooded jumper – and accessories within the lobby allowing you to take part of the experience home with you.

Images: Jess Clifford

12/07/2022

Jessica Clifford

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031