The Green Party elects new leadership

Carla Denyer and Adrian Ramsey have been elected as the new co-leaders of the Green Party of England and Wales. This comes as the party are polling at 9% in recent opinion polls, making them the third biggest UK party by voting intention.

Previous co-leader, Siȃn Berry, recently stepped down after deciding her own beliefs on supporting the rights of trans people in the UK were not backed by the whole of the party. As a result of the democratic structure of the party, decisions could be made which were irreconcilable with her own views. Berry acknowledged her failure to change the opinion of her colleagues on trans issues was a failure of her own leadership. Jonathan Bartley, the other previous co-leader who served with Berry, declared his reason for stepping down was to give new leaders the chance to fully engage with their new role before a potential snap election in 2024.

Denyer and Ramsay now have big plans to gain more councillors and MPs across the UK, providing green policies with a larger platform. Ramsay first became a councillor in Norwich when he was just 21 and later became the deputy leader of the party. Denyer also has a lot of experience in the party as a Bristol councillor.

Between them, they want to make sure climate change is at the focus of every policy choice in the UK. On her election, Denyer said; “it is clear that the other major political parties have failed to bring about the change that is necessary. More than ever before, it is vital that Green policies are adopted for the benefit of our climate and our communities”.

Ramsay has also said they would campaign vigorously for the introduction of policies such as the four-day working week and universal basic income, highlighting their approach was “just as much about social justice as it is about tackling the climate and ecological emergency”.

• Click the three dots in the top right of the screen and retur

26/10/2021

Rachel Keane

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31