Last Night In Soho: Review

The Last Night in Soho is Edgar Wright’s newest polarising film. 

Eloise (Thomasin McKenzie) comes from rural Cornwall with big dreams. Once she gets into London College of Fashion, the excitement of a new life starts, a life not dissimilar to her late mother’s. Her grandmother fears for her, knowing her ‘gift’ sets her apart. After a cold welcome at the university halls, Ellie seeks for a new abode – a bedsit in soho with Mrs. Collins (Diana Rigg). It’s here where her room starts to act as a portal to the 1960’s, finding her body twinned with Sandie (Anya Taylor-Joy). Sandie dreams of being the next Cilla Black and it appears to be coming true when she meets Jack (Matt Smith), who “manages all the girls”. It quickly however goes downhill when the set up is less wholesome than meets the eye.

The camera work, the locations, the music: a genuine sense of the 1960’s atmosphere is created by every element of the film, feeling as if you’ve experienced it yourself. The soundtrack is paired astoundingly to each scene and plays a vital role, almost connecting to the lights and outfits. Having such a visually appealing film with dark topics mirrors the reality of the characters, and it almost seems like a warning for those romanticising the past. The glamour and aesthetics may be fascinating, but the reality and politics of the time, not so much.

Some films feel too long when they hit the two-hour running time, but The Last Night In Soho leaves you wanting more. The viewer is drawn into both Eloise’s contemporary storyline and the mystery that unfolds in Eloise’s dreams and Sandie’s reality. The connection between the two is questionable at first, but this quickly becomes clearer. Some of the unanswered questions in the film feel right to have stayed that way. 

I feel the bulk of criticisms towards this film come from those who went in with too much of an expectation of a certain genre or ideas of plot – but this film transcends a definitive category and plays between different tropes. Perhaps the label of horror may disappoint fans of only that, but anyone who enjoys a thought-out plot with stunning visuals couldn’t frown at this new Wright classic. 

16/11/2021

Lauren Barrett

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930