Arts, Venue

The Lion King: The show that made me love the theatre

It’s been around five years since I first saw The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre in London. There’s a reason this story is such a classic; be it the movie or the musical, it’s completely enchanting. Since then, I’ve been entirely in love with the theatre. Each show is uniquely breath-taking. Without ‘The Lion King’, I never would have known what magic exists on the stage.

From the second the curtain went up and that iconic music began, I felt every single emotion. As befits a timeless Disney classic, the show is stunning for its beautiful artistry. From the celebration of African culture through percussion and vocals, to the life-size elephant that heads through the audience towards the stage, every detail of this production is impeccable. 

You become entirely lost in this world. The Lion King is magical for its stage design of a vast African savannah, shrouded in a gorgeous kaleidoscope of colour and light. The use of masks and makeup capture the vibrant spirit of this story and are wonderfully harnessed to portray the idiosyncrasies of each character, becoming distorted and malevolent for the villainous Scar, or full of bright colour and vibrant life for Rafiki.

The Lion King is a majestic and dazzling theatrical remake of a much-loved classic, and it does not disappoint. It was the show that made me fall in love with onstage performance, introducing me to more brilliant classics like Wicked, Les Misérables and The Phantom of the Opera. There’s no feeling quite like the rush of emotion you get when that curtain is lifted or that first note is sung. The Lion King introduced me to that feeling, and I’ve never looked back.

24/11/2020

Nerisse Appleby

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031