Gaming

The meteoric rise (and return) of Among Us

A few weeks ago, I had no idea what Among Us was. Now, I struggle to tear myself away from it.

Among Us has recently shot up in popularity, especially amongst Twitch streamers, despite launching for the first time in 2018. There is a lot to love about this game, and it’s not hard to understand why it has become so popular. Quick premise: ten players aim to prepare a spaceship for launch by completing tasks and minigames to get it ready, with at least one person on the ship instead being the Impostor, who has to try and stop this from happening.

My favourite aspect of the game is the deception and the lies if you are playing as the Impostor. Even if I am not the Impostor, it’s occasionally fun to cause a bit of trouble. Without sounding like I have a few screws loose, I get a thrill from outsmarting people and lying my way to the end, doing whatever I need to do to not get caught. As the Impostor your aim is to kill the other players and sabotage their tasks to stop them from winning. Being the smartest in the room is a great feeling.

It caters amazingly to big groups of people wanting to play together, even groups of strangers. Matches of up to ten people take place with anywhere between one and three players acting as the Impostor, so lots of your friends can jump into the same game and have hours of fun. UEA societies are even picking up the idea for socials, which I must admit is a genius idea.

Another great part of the game is that it avoids repetitiveness. Each game is different because the tasks change and the players have unique strategies. This is what makes it so addictive and ultimately very popular, because if you lose or die, I guarantee you’ll be saying “one more game” for as many hours as it takes for you to win. Even worse, if you are outsmarted and the target of someone’s lies, you will jump back into another game with a personal vendetta or a point to prove.

Essentially, you need to play Among Us. It’s pretty sus if you don’t.

13/10/2020

Sam Hewitson

Sam Hewitson

Travel Editor - 2019/20

Editor-In-Chief - 2020/21