The New Mutants and The Return of the Cinema

Tango ice blast? Check. Cinema snacks? Check. I had everything I needed for a classic cinema experience. But this time it was different. When not eating, my mask was on. And there wasn’t the usual hustle and bustle of the cinema, where you were shoved up against the person next to you who was telling the kids a few rows in front to be quiet. This time, we were socially distanced, spread out and it was a much emptier room. Cinema had changed, but nonetheless, it was still a fantastic experience.

I went to see the much anticipated ‘The New Mutants’. This film has been in the works since 2014 but it was continuously pushed back by delays and tweaks to the plot and characters. So after all that wait, was it worth it?

The story follows 5 young mutants who have been locked away as a means to control their powers. As they try and navigate their escape, we see their journeys of self-discovery and freedom. Though the plot was quite predictable, it was well put together and a very wholesome watch. Though it is described as fitting into the horror genre, I’d say this is a much more feel good movie and it is one that leaves you with a fuzzy feeling. As part of the X-men world, it definitely had the same feel as those movies, but much more light-hearted as it centres around a group of teenagers. The acting from Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy and Blu Hunt were standout performances and I loved how they were such complex characters. Overall, this movie was well worth the watch. However I’d give it a miss if you do like a good dark superhero movie, as this does appeal more to a slightly younger audience I’d say.

It was great to be back in the cinema and feel the excitement of the trailers and the upcoming world of film. I can’t wait to go back again!

22/09/2020

Leia Butler

Leia Butler