Fashion

It’s New, but You

Once that loan hits your student bank account, the allure of the aisles can be too overwhelming to ignore. Fear not, Venue is here to tempt you away from spontaneous splurging. It’s time to give your worn down winter wardrobe a fresh spring makeover.

newyoufashion

Do-It-Yourself

Don’t be tempted to fritter away your loan when you can do-it-yourself. Charlotte Olympia’s Cat Face Flats have been seen everywhere on the most stylish of A-list feet. Rather than fork out on the designer, grab that old pair of black pumps and follow blog ‘Trends and Benefit’s’ tutorial for a copy-cat flat.

Slogan tops will be huge for spring, but those thousands of generic tops saying LOVE and PEACE are old news. Make something unique with a stencil set, fabric marker, and any plain top. Stencil down your favourite quote, lyric, word to make it your own.

Venue recommends Shopruche’s DIY handmade doily peter pan collars to up-cycle those worn out dresses and tops. Want something less permanent? Pick up a Peter Pan collar for less than £5 a piece on Ebay, wear over a floral dress for a vintage feel and tap into the contrast collar trend for the new season.

Make Your Wardrobe Work Overtime

Re-examining the way you pair your clothes can instantly make over worn clothes feel fresh. Intentionally clashing florals and stripes is a huge trend for the spring season. Never thought that breton top and vintage floral skirt go together? Now they do. Or why not try adding a pretty collar to any dress by simply wearing a shirt underneath.

Accessorising is a classic wardrobe reinvention tip for a reason. Accessories like a bowler hat or a patterned retro scarf can become the showpiece in an otherwise plain outfit. Layer to make the most of abandoned seasonal pieces. Take inspiration from boho veterans the Olsen twins and pair that summer maxi skirt with ankle boots and a tough biker jacket. Rather than chucking that favourite sundress under the bed for next summer, throw a chunky cropped knit over it for effortless chic à la Alexa Chung.

Transform Those Old Basics

Basics can be just that, basic. Bored of that old maxi dress? Cut a slit down the side, making sure to hem to avoid fraying, for a sexier take on the classic. Grunge is here to stay, and nothing says effortless style like a casually ripped up pair of jeans. Those old jeans hanging in your wardrobe will already be aged and roughed up, so why not add a rip or two, or if you’re advantageous, get experimental with bleach.

It’s all in the detail. Tartan elbow patches will transform that old cardigan and hit all the fashion notes. Add embellishment like pearls and studs to forgotten shirt collars and battered leather jackets. Transform those old heels just in time to be ready for Valentine’s Day with some adorable heart shoe clips from Jessica In Your Ear. Creativity doesn’t cost a thing, so keep your pennies for a rainy day and get customising!

14/01/2014

lauradeakin