The “pre-pre-season” prep for Norwich City Women’s FC

This year’s FA Women’s National League season ended abruptly with all points being null and void, but Millie Daviss, Captain of the Norwich City Women’s team, offered some insight this week into the teams “pre-pre-season” mentality.

The team are looking to next season and finding alternative ways of training and motivating each other.

“On the physical side of it you can do bits at home and stuff like that but socially you can’t really, apart from obviously online. But you can’t interact as well as what you would do on a training day or a match day,” Daviss said.

“At training, most of the girls, obviously the football is a massive part of it, but the reason why some of the girls even turn up and have a good time is because of the social interactions and the family that has been created there.

“We do skype, and zoom is good because you can fit quite a few people in those. We’re thinking of doing some quizzes in the future.

“We’ve got a very young team as well, 16-18 especially, those that should have had their GCSEs and A Levels, it’s important to keep them going.”

Typically, the team would train together twice a week with match days and away games, so being separated has been a tough adjustment for everyone at the club. Coaches and staff are still working hard however to ensure that fitness standards and injury prevention are maintained.

“We’ve been given a weekly plan from our physical coach and he does us a lot of injury prevention stuff and rehab with injuries,” Daviss said.

“We’re doing base fitness so on a Sunday, for example, he will try and mimic a game because that’s what we would usually be doing. So he says to run 7k, do sprints and injury prevention, which is kind of like the warm-up/cool-down that we would usually do on a match day.”

“He wants to make sure we are ready for when pre-season hits because I assume they’re going to push us a lot harder than they did last year because of how much of a break we’ve had.”

Alongside training and skype calls the club have been drumming up the community spirit on twitter and finding ways to better support local organisations. Daviss’ teammate Josie Jarvis completed the 2.6 Challenge holding a plank position for 26 minutes and raised £75 for the Community Sports Foundation. The men’s team have also been getting involved by delivering food packages, and Daviss uploaded a video expressing thanks and support for NHS staff.

“I think when you look at it as a whole community you can tell we’re all in it together like we’re one big club,” she said. “It’s nice to have both male and female teams being there over twitter so the younger ones have someone to look up to as well.

“I know the younger girls will probably look up to the women’s [team], and likewise with the men’s.”

The club have certainly been hard at work with men’s, women’s and under 12 teams looking forward to the coming season and still spreading the Norwich City spirit.

05/05/2020

Charlotte Sykes