Fashion, Venue

The Return of London Fashion Week

September for the fashion world only means one thing: Fashion Weeks. Here in the UK, the London-based event saw 130 designers showcasing their spring and summer 2022 collections. Although the week is memorable for any fashion fan, this year’s shows were perhaps much more anticipated, with the models gracing the catwalks in person without restrictions. With Naomi Campbell hosting the whole event, it definitely did not disappoint.

Although iconic British brands Burberry and Christopher Kane were absent from the week, others such as Simone Rocha, Erdem, and Richard Quinn reminded the world of why London is still a fashion capital. Key trends emerged across the board – bodycon and netting being some of the key favourites of the week. Victorian-inspired clothing was also popular, with designers like Yuhan Wang and Edward Crutchley highlighting voluminous silhouettes. 

Richard Quinn closed the week of celebrations with a star-studded show. Filled with his signature florals, Quinn showcased colourful pleated trousers and daring, full-skirted gowns. He described how his collection was based on “beauty and tension, and how they work together, after a time when everyone’s been locked up”. After so much time away from the packed rows of fashion week, I am sure many fashion lovers would agree that it has been fantastic to see established designers showing their work again.

Likewise, the smaller, newer designers impressed just as much. A stand-out show for many was put on by Maximilian Davis, who is quickly becoming London’s ‘it’ designer of the moment after dressing Rihanna. Heavily inspired by his Caribbean roots, Maximilian showcased gender-fluid, sleek outfits, which are fashion-forward yet wearable. His final piece, an all-black outfit featuring a wearable art piece, dazzled as it flew down the runway. 

Another young designer turning heads was Chet Lo. Featuring every vivid colour you can imagine and extremely oversized shoulder bags, Lo displayed a fun side to fashion. Having already gained celebrity fans such as Kylie Jenner and Doja Cat, Chet Lo’s signature pinch-and-twist fabric designs are undoubtedly only going to rise in popularity. 

The London fashion scene is slowly but surely getting its buzz back, proven by all the spectacular designers that helped rebuild the high-end fashion community. Outfits were bold and thoughtful, often reflecting on the past few years of struggle, and yet the week was a tremendous celebration of what London designers have to offer. Personally, I cannot wait for the next. 

05/10/2021

Elizabeth Woor

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031