The Return of UEA’s Evening Language Programme

After being paused during the worst of the Covid-19 pandemic, UEA’s evening language programme is back in action. The first set of courses this year will run from the week commencing April 25th and it is open to students, staff, and members of the public.

There are a wide variety of languages on offer, in an attempt to reflect the diversity of the university. This term, you can learn: Arabic, British Sign Language, Business English, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Modern Greek, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. It is also hoped more languages and levels will be added in the future.

In the ten-weeks of face-to-face learning, you can expect an introduction to basic grammar, vocabulary and phrases, alongside an emphasis on developing listening and speaking skills. Lyndsey Lubach, Languages Coordinator, and Akiko Tomatsuri, Head of Language and Communication Studies at PPL and Associate Professor in Japanese Language and Translation, have said: “In studying each language, you will also gain insights into the society and culture where the language is used, as we believe it’s important not just to learn the language but embrace the culture too”. 

Run by the PPL school, they believe learning a new language will open up a “whole new world…expand your worldview as well as keep your mind active”. They add: “learning a language will allow you to enjoy a film or a book in the original language”, as well as helping to make connections with people from different countries across campus and the wider community.

The courses cost £180 for what is usually a two-hour class per week, for ten weeks and is taught to the highest standard by experienced and friendly tutors. They offer beginner courses, as well as more advanced courses for those who have studied the language before. It is a great opportunity to make friends, increase career prospects, and have some fun! More information on specific course dates, times, and classes can be found at: https://uealanguageprogramme.org/evening-classes

22/03/2022

Rachel Keane

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…