Film, OldVenue

The rise and rise of Michael Fassbender

Inglorious Basterds kick started another actor’s career, that of Michael Fassbender. From a character who’s principal purpose was to show us that Germans three on their hands differently to us (I’ve checked, it’s true), within three years Michael Fassbender has gone on to play Magneto in X-Men: First Class, Carl Jung in A Dangerous Method and Edward Rochester in Jane Eyre whilst acting alongside the likes of Viggo Mortensen, James McAvoy and Keira Knightley … and he’s only 34.

Clearly then his career has advanced at an astronomical speed but unlike some other actors whose stars have recently risen, he has avoided being typecast; the most obvious comparison being Robert Pattinson, who will struggle to distance himself from the Twilight films. Instead Michael Fassbender has successfully plied his trade in both bid budget Hollywood blockbusters and small-scale indie films playing a whole array of varied characters and receiving critical acclaim for each portrayal. In the same year he has played an iconic mutant who can control metal in one film and in another a man in his mid-30s dealing with sex addiction.

In no more certain terms were his acting abilities demonstrated then through his performance in the film Shame which was described as “brilliant and ferocious” and for which he received the Volpi Cup for Best Actor at the Venice film awards, as well as Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations and even led some to call for an Oscar nomination.

Now fresh off the heels from the critically commended Haywire and due to appear in Ridley Scott’s highly anticipated Alien prequel Prometheus in the summer, with a further outing with Ridley Scott in the works, his career appears to have only just begun. If the next three years go as well as the previous three have, then it is safe to say that the name Michael Fassbender might become one which we will all have to get used to, but hey, what’s so bad about that?

30/03/2012

alexdobrik

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031