Fashion

The rise of the Y2K aesthetic

The phrase ‘Y2K aesthetic’ refers to all things 2000s nostalgia and, at present, it’s enjoying a bit of a renaissance, resonating in particular with young adults who grew up watching shows like Lizzie McGuire and The Powerpuff Girls on TV.

Fashion brands have been quick to notice this trend and incorporate nods to it in their merchandise. In March, American make-up brand Colourpop launched a collaboration with none other than Disney channel classic Lizzie McGuire. It launched a palette called “What Dreams are Made Of” – the title of a song performed by Lizzie McGuire actress Hilary Duff for “The Lizzie McGuire Movie”. The titles of the make-up shades from the palette come from classic quotes from the show like Digital Bean, Outfit Rememberer and Outie!, which will appeal to seasoned fans, as well as younger viewers now discovering the show on Disney+. 

Other products include ‘Dee-lish! Pressed Powder Brush’, ‘Get a Grip! Glitterally Obsessed’ and ‘Seriously Cool So Juicy Duo’, with the product packaging adorned with images of the cartoon version of Lizzie that makes appearances alongside actress Hillary Duff in the Disney show.

Colourpop’s latest collection comes after the release of their Sailor Moon collection last year to sell-out success. Like the Lizzie McGuire collection, the items come in glitzy pinks and purples, with special appearances by the likes of Sailor Moon’s cat Luna. The collection features lip glosses, lipsticks and two glitter gels. 

British lifestyle brand ‘SkinnyDip’, who are popular for women’s clothing, phone cases and accessories, last week released a line with cartoon franchise: The Powerpuff Girls, featuring everything from crop tops, to joggers to AirPod cases and mini-Tote bags. 

It’s fair to say that lockdown has certainly made people nostalgic for happier times, and the “Y2K aesthetic” provides that level of escapism that seems to be just what people need right now.

13/04/2021

Jake Walker-Charles

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31