Main Stories, News

Three UEA students fined £10,000 each for throwing house party

Three UEA students were fined £10,000 each after hosting a house party with around 100 attendees. The police were called to the Bowthorpe Road residence at approximately 1.10am on Sunday 11th of October.  

One 19-year-old and two 20-year-olds, who were meant to be self-isolating after showing coronavirus symptoms, were issued the fixed penalty notice for breaking the ban on hosting a gathering with over 30 attendees during the coronavirus pandemic.  

A police spokesperson issued a statement: “Officers dispersed the gathering and three occupants at the address, a 19-year-old woman and two 20-year-old women, were issued with the fixed penalty notice for contravening the ban on being involved in holding a gathering of more than 30 people”.  

They continued on to say: “As a police force, we fully appreciate how difficult the past six months have been for the county and we are pleased that the vast majority of people have played and continue to play their part, following the guidance and legislation”, but warned the infection rate is “now rapidly rising across the country” and reinforced the importance of preventative measures.  

This comes after news on Friday that UEA confirmed it had 73 positive cases of coronavirus – 47 on campus and 26 off campus.   

12/10/2020

Jake Walker-Charles