Sam Smith strikes again! After a three-year break, a haemorrhage, an Oscar, and a series of summer release singles, his 14-track sophomore album has hit the world with a splash. However, The Thrill Of It All had some pretty big boots to fill after Smith’s debut album In The Lonely Hour was the fastest selling one of 2014. Smith’s hit debut album had left fans with a gaping hole in their chests, only to be enlarged by The Thrill Of It All – leaving you feeling loss like you never have before.

Smith does well not to fall into the sophomore album curse of only having a handful of tracks worth listening to, but instead offers 14 fantastic, passionate tracks. The title track is not that much compared to Smith’s previous hits, it showcases Smith’s falsetto but leaves you struggling to remember how the song goes once it has finished playing. The singles, Too Good At Goodbyes and Pray offer an experience similar to being hung-up on. Heartbreaking. Sam Smith is a magician who manages to conjure such deep-rooted feeling and emotion that my throat is left dry and I’m lost for words. All this said, I would quite happily listen to the two songs on repeat well into the night.

Other tracks such as HIM and Burn are well written and provide the usual, emotional Sam Smith experience.