Home of the Wonderful

‘Tis the season of charity

The University of East Anglia’s Media Mo-llective fundraising group, set up by Breaking News Editor, Emily Kelly, aims to raise funds and awareness for men’s health issues, such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and male suicides. The broad range of important and life-changing work – from encouraging social action to scientific research – remains at the forefront of this year’s Movember campaign.

Using funds raised through charitable donations, Movember has been collaborating with the most successful scientific communities and best research to create effective treatments and solutions as well as improving the accessibility to resources for men, and changing the way men think about health. 

And they say the proof is in the pudding. Earlier this month, a study at the university showed that prostate cancer urine tests can now identify men at an ‘intermediate risk’ who can safely avoid immediate treatment and benefit from ‘active surveillance’ instead. A groundbreaking trial earlier this year carried out in collaboration with the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital also found a home testing kit could help diagnose aggressive forms of the disease five years earlier, helping to reduce the risk of fatal outcomes.

But despite strong progress in some areas, problems still exist in others. According to The Office of National Statistics, the male suicide rate for was 15.3 per 100,000* compared to the female suicide rate of 4.9 per 100,000, demonstrating the difficult yet highly necessary action underpinning the event.

November is the month of Movember, the globally recognised annual event involving  the growing of moustaches to raise money “all the dads, sons and mates in our lives”. The SU athletic challenge is four, four, four, explaining why Concrete has committed to writing 400 words on local, regional and national efforts to help promote men’s health. Concrete would like to share how you can get involved.

The Mo-collective team would appreciate donations through the UEA Media Mollective page, in the hope of raising over £500. Students are welcome to set up their own account and join the team in fundraising yourself, with Editor-in-chief Dolly Carter aiming to move 60km for the 60 men we lose each hour of every day. 

And most importantly, spread the word to friends, family and followers. Whether you’re growing a moustache, going to a seminar dressed as a pitbull, or beer funnelling a pint of gravy, now is your chance – whoever you are, wherever you are – to make a difference.

16/11/2021

Sam Gordon Webb

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31