1. Baby Driver (14 points)

“Baby Driver’s first scene is so masterfully crafted that it wouldn’t have looked out of place for any another director’s grand finale. But no. Instead, Edgar Wright shows that all you need to push the climactic scene to its limit is the claustrophobic confines of a car park, a killer track, and the reverse gear! The scenes in between are just as good as, if not better than, the film’s car chase sequences, with slick acting from the villains, and heartfelt performances from Ansel Elgort and Lily James. But perhaps Baby Driver’s biggest feat is its editing: how impressively the actors and their actions sync up with the music is mind-boggling!” – Tom Cascarini

2. Dunkirk (11 points)

“Nolan’s Dunkirk was quite rightly one of 2017’s most anticipated films, and it didn’t disappoint. Emotionally compelling, well-paced, and unnerving throughout, Nolan’s epic war movie was a thoughtful production that illustrated the true horrors of war for a new generation. The three timelines and separate stories may not be to everyone’s taste, but Nolan’s artistic decision does the historic event justice. He balances the various perspectives of the evacuation with perfect precision, and consequently Dunkirk conveys the atmosphere of uncertainty and fear that the soldiers would have undoubtedly felt. A necessary film that does not glorify war, but instead the spirit that enabled those soldiers to endure and prevail.” – Jodie Bailey

3. Call Me By Your Name (10 points)

“Luca Guadagnino produces a modern-day classic with this enchanting bittersweet coming-of-age tale. Set in the summer of 1983 in the idyllic Northern Italian countryside, Call Me By Your Name tells the endearing love story between precocious 17-year-old Elio and graduate student Oliver that’ll captivate you from start to finish. The beautiful cinematography and keen attention to detail, accompanied by a stunning score by Sufjan Stevens creates a nostalgic atmosphere throughout, whilst Oscar-worthy performances by leads Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer will make you feel like you’re watching the romance develop first-hand, and will leave you contemplating it days later.” – Kay Field

4. Blade Runner 2049 (9 points)

“Blade Runner 2049 is just like its predecessor: a masterpiece of cinematography. Its dark, futuristically gothic and beautifully shot narrative world is simply stunning to behold, and is further embodied in the equally dark yet enlightening performance by Ryan Gosling as LAPD Officer K as he unfolds a society-wide corporate conspiracy concerning humanity’s android slave-force; replicants. Blade Runner 2049 is being called one of the most visually ground-breaking films of all time, and most certainly can in comparison be considered one of the greatest films of all time; even if it is still considered a cult franchise to audiences.” -James Mortishire

5. The Disaster Artist (7 points)

“The Disaster Artist accomplishes the rare feat of effortlessly balancing tragedy and comedy. It explores the relationship between Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero during production of Wiseau’s cult film, The Room (2003). James Franco, who superlatively transforms into Wiseau, directs with sympathy and warmth, but, fortunately, does not get lost in the comedy. He also examines the dogmatic and mean-spirited side of Wiseau: the infamous director abuses his actors, forces them to work in awful conditions and is highly manipulative. In this nuanced and sophisticated character study, Franco transcends farce   to create a moving and funny, utterly unique piece of cinema.” – Alex Caesari