Top 50 global ranking for UEA research

The University of East Anglia’s research was ranked in the top 50 of the most cited research material globally, as part of the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022 released earlier this month.

The metrics are based on the number of times published work is cited by scholars from a varying academic work, including article reviews and book chapters published in the last five years.

UEA’s greatest subject position was in Life Sciences, across agriculture and forestry, biological sciences, veterinary science and sport science. The result places the university 2nd in the UK for Life Science degrees, as well as 15th in the world for Physical Sciences degrees, including degrees such as maths and statistics, physics and astronomy, as well as environmental science.

UEA’s vice chancellor, David Richardson, stated: “It is wonderful to see confirmation that UEA’s reputation as a research intensive university is growing on the world stage and putting us at the top table in the UK.”

The rankings come after UEA slipped 6 places in the Sunday Times Good University Guide (GUG), from 21st to 26th. The league table is based on metrics such as teaching quality, degree completion rates as well as graduate employment prospects. 81% of UEA students achieve “good honours” (2.1 or firsts), compared to 71% students at the Norwich University of the Arts.

The rankings reflect lower student satisfaction levels overall as a result of Covid-19 restrictions. Oxford and Cambridge were beaten to the top spot by St Andrews for the first time in the ranking’s history.

Last year, students signed an open letter to the vice chancellor, calling for a reduced rate of
tuition fees in the context of online teaching. The letter also claimed “international students are paying three times as much as UK students for the same experience.”

The university’s research has been in the eye of extensive media coverage for some time. The ‘Climategate’ scandal of 2009 – in which Professor Philip Jones, director of climate
research at the University of East Anglia, was investigated after leaked emails appeared to suggest researchers had exaggerated the threat posed by global warming – has been made into
a BBC thriller starring Jason Watkins.

05/10/2021

Sam Gordon Webb

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031