Gaming, Venue

Top Female Gamers

As International Women’s Day is soon approaching, here is a list of some of the most popular women gamers and streamers, as well as a few of my personal favourite creators to watch.

1.     An extremely popular Twitch streamer is Pokimane, who began streaming in 2013. She is known for playing games such as Minecraft, League of Legends and Fortnite, and boasts an impressive YouTube subscribing of over 6 million, and nearly 9 million Twitch followers, which makes her Twitch’s most followed woman streamer.

2.     LDShadowLady is a YouTuber who is best known for playing Minecraft and her series playing it. She has over 6 million subscribers, and it is certainly clear from her comment sections that fans love her Minecraft Empires series. 

3.     A favourite streamer and YouTuber of mine is Dianadailies. She creates content based on Animal Crossing: New Horizons such as island builds and designs. I really like watching her content as it’s a great way to unwind and relax.

4.     FemSteph is also a streamer and YouTuber, known for playing games such as Rocket League and Grand Theft Auto. She used to work at EA.

5.     XChocoBars is another famous gamer, with over 238K YouTube subscribers and over 900,000 followers on Twitch. She has played gaming tournaments and has participated in professional esports.

6.     Sweet_Anita is a gamer with over 1 million Twitch followers and over 1 million YouTube subscribers. She posts gaming content as well as content about Tourette’s syndrome, which she is diagnosed with, helping to promote awareness. She also helps to rehabilitate animals.

7.     LilyPichu is another famous streamer, with 2.4million Twitch followers. She posts content about games such as Valorant and League of Legends, as well as various vlogs and more on her YouTube channel.

8.     KittyPlays is also a Twitch streamer, with over 1 million followers. She has created Team Kitty, which “is 75 women strong, empowering broadcasters and spreading joy through gaming”. She also posts vlogs on her YouTube channel.

Writing this has certainly made it apparent that Twitch seems to be taking over from YouTube regarding gaming content, and most creators primarily use Twitch to stream. I’ve also found that a lot of famous women gamers seem to have stopped creating content, and it is interesting to consider why. A lot of searches come up with “What happened to (gamer)?” And I have come across various incidents of women gamers being faced with harassment and stalking. It is important to recognise that although things have improved, there is still a stigma in the gaming community, and women gamers are too often faced with unwanted comments and harassment, so there is certainly still a long way to go to make gaming a safe and inclusive space for everyone. I have also found out that there is a big lack of professional gamers, which may be due to such reasons, as well as gaps in earnings.

01/03/2022

Holly Jackson

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930