Triumphs and trials for UEA Tennis

It’s been a slightly hit and miss start to the year for Tennis. Many of our sessions have been cancelled due to rain, but this hasn’t stopped people joining! We’ve had great turn outs to our tasters and Do Something Different events this year, such as our Welcome Tournament, which saw over 60 people turn up.

Trials were also a success with many attendees making the BUCS teams and Development Squads. Our captains are working hard to develop the skills of our squad members to prime them for matches in BUCS, Fast4, Sunday League and Team Challenge.

Following a week of loses on 9th October, we were pleased to have wins from all teams on 16th October – a great testament to their resilience. We look forward to some more successful matchplay and results.

Recently, our Tennis Activators, Alex Lee and Stephanie Corbyn, attended the LTA’s National University Training event. The training focused on how to develop our tennis programme and club values through a variety of interactive talks. Our Publicity Secretary Ellie Bradshaw also delivered a talk on the importance of social media use in promoting university tennis. Alex is particularly keen to create competitive opportunities for all levels within the club, such as with a ‘Fast4’ formatted competition.

On a slightly different note, our socials have been as busy as ever, with both Returners and Freshers attending our events. We started the year with our Animal themed Freshers social, followed by many sports nights and our 999 Bar Crawl with Badminton and Squash. Plenty more socials are planned, including our sober social (bowling), Winter Ball at the Assembly House, and Tri-Racket Football Tournament!

We also plan to do a quiz to fundraise money for the club in the future, in order to pay for new balls and other equipment. We’re particularly keen to also raise money for Movember and already have several people signed up.

With so much planned for this semester, we hope our club members are eager to get stuck in, and anyone still considering joining does so too!

05/11/2019

Ellie Bradshaw