Tropical rainforest slows down global warming

In the last few decades, thousands of scientists have dedicated their lives to reducing carbon emissions and helping save the planet.

Now, it seems like something is finally working; tropical forest reserves are preventing the release of three times as much carbon into the atmosphere as the UK emits each year.

Leading in this field research is the University of Exeter partnered with the University of Queensland.

They have released data expressing that these protected areas are preventing millions of tonnes of carbon from being lost due to deforestation.

As tropical forests account for 68 percent of the world’s carbon stock, and as they are being cleared for agriculture in places like Africa, too much carbon is being released.

Dr Bebber professes, “Our study highlights the added benefit of maintaining forest cover for reducing carbon dioxide emissions to the atmosphere, so helping slow the rate of climate change.”

In Asia, by protecting forests, carbon release is reduced by 25 million tonnes per year, and by 12.7 million tonnes in Africa.

Total annual carbon emissions from the tropics are thought to be between 1 and 1.5 billion tonnes of carbon per year, equivalent to 3.67 to 5.05 billion tonnes of CO2.

This means protecting it is vital for not just human survival, but for biodiversity.

07/11/2017

orlaknox-macaulay

123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930