Palestinians have rejected US President Donald Trump’s peace plan, labelling it a “conspiracy”. The plan stated that Jerusalem would remain Israel’s capital, form a Palestinian state, and recognise Israeli sovereignty over settlements in the west bank. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas responded to the plan claiming that Jerusalem was, “not for sale” and, “all our rights are not for sale and are not for bargain”. In addition, speaking to the Arab League in Cairo, President Abbas has said Palestine will cut all ties with Israel and the United States. “We’ve informed the Israeli side… that there will be no relations at all with them and the United States including security ties”. This comes after years of cooperation between Israeli and Palestinian Authority security forces in policing areas of the occupied West Bank, under Palestinian control. 

The rejection brings new tension between the US and Palestine, with the latter boycotting President Trump’s peace efforts since 2017. Tensions between two states hit their peak in February 2018 as the U.S. government announced the relocation of its embassy in the region to Jerusalem, sparking huge backlash from Palestinian protesters. The proposal of a new ‘peace’ plan from the President of the United States has served only to fuel further protests, with Palestinians taking to the streets to undertake a “day of rage”. Speaking on the plan, the Chief Palestinian negotiator, Saeb Erekat, said that President Trump had, “copied and pasted” the plans that Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu wanted to have implemented. He went further to say, “it’s about annexation, it’s about apartheid”.

In response to Palestine’s reaction, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu labelled Mr Trump’s plan the, “deal of the century”, stating Israel “will not miss this opportunity… may God bless us all with security, prosperity and peace”. In addition, speaking to Fox News, the Israeli PM said that over time the Palestinians would, “see they’ll never get a better deal”. The proposal of this plan has caused fierce backlash, with The Independent reporting 4 deaths in the ensuing violence.