The University of East Anglia is an amazing place to live and study, offering first class entertainment, sports clubs, societies and academia to undergraduate and postgraduate students from across the world.

It’s easy for students to overestimate how much time they have to experience the abundance of one-of-a-kind attractions and experiences that life at UEA has to offer.

With over 150 clubs and societies in our Union, a city rich with historic attractions, and a campus environment combining award-winning architecture with unique nature and wildlife, students at UEA have a wealth of opportunities at their disposal.

With Concrete’s top 10 tips, you’ll easily be able to make the most of your time at UEA.

Be organised

With fairs and parties left, right and centre, freshers’ week can be hectic. Spend a little time structuring your week will leave you stress free and flexible when it comes to events.

Get involved with everything

If there’s a sport you’ve always wanted to try, or you think that you’ll find like-minded people at the quidditch team or cocktail society, then go ahead and put your name on the list. Don’t be afraid to sign up for everything and anything that you’re interested in.

Budget, budget, budget

This doesn’t have to mean drafting up Excel sheets and mathematical formulas, but merely setting yourself a £20 budget before a night out makes a big difference to your purse strings. Trust me, there is nothing worse than getting to the end of term eating plain rice, whilst dribbling over past memories of Domino’s pizza.

Don’t be too frugal

Budgeting is essential, but there is also a rare breed of student who goes the opposite way and will not spend a penny more than necessary. Go out and use your dollar to attend some fantastic local events, gigs or nights out on the town.

Be silly

Yes, university is foremost a place for education, but it’s also a place to let your hair down and take yourself out of your comfort zone. University goes by incredibly quickly and before you know it, they’ll be no more lie-ins or student discount for you. Embrace your student lifestyle and go and have a ball!

Decorate your room

But before you hop onto a bus to B&Q for a large tub of paint, think again. Buy posters and print photos of family and friends to stick on your walls. Your new little room may seem terrifying at first, but the instant you’ve got snaps of your best mate pulling a silly face on the wall, it doesn’t seem so bad.

Make the most of your tutors, lecturers and the services on offer 

If you’re struggling with an essay or need advice on coping away from home, there is always a place or a person who will be willing to help you out. Make an effort to find out what resources are on offer and don’t be afraid to use them when in need of a little help.

Attendance

When you’re a newly-blossomed clubber with a daily hangover, it’s very easy to forget that attendance is important. It may seem hard to believe but, trust me, scrubbing neon paint off your face in a panic and running to the lecture theatre in your pyjamas is better than missing a lecture completely.

Explore your city and campus

Freshers’ week is a great opportunity to explore your new home. Norwich has some great shopping facilities and tourist attractions, but it never hurts to just go on a hunt for your classrooms around campus.

Write for Concrete!

We’re always looking for budding writers and journalists, so come and see us in the Concrete office or at the Societies Fair, or visit the write page.

Photo: Ga Chun Yau.