According to a survey of employees at 1,600 companies in the UK, the University of East Anglia ranks in the top 50 organisations to work for. The Coventry based, car manufacturer Jaguar Land Rover came top of the list, followed by the pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca.

The survey was commissioned by Bloomberg and carried out by data research company Statista, who questioned over 15,000 staff at companies across the UK. Excluded from the research were companies who dealt in weapons, tobacco, gambling or pornography with Bloomberg’s direct competitors also being exempt.

Employees in the survey were quizzed through 35 questions about their job satisfaction and asked in particular whether they would recommend their employer or a competitor to a potential new recruit. They were also asked whether they had positive or negative impressions of other named companies. The overall data was then compiled based on both internal and external perceptions of the employers.

To be included in the survey, companies had to be UK based and have at least 500 employees. The survey was conducted online and none of the companies whose employees were questioned were informed to ensure results represented participants true opinions.

UEA places at number 46, making the top 50 alongside many famous brands and companies such as the BBC, Google, Microsoft, ITV and Harrods.

UEA is one of 25 education sector employees on the list, and one of just five universities, with staff at the universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Plymouth appearing within the top 50.

According to the reports co-author, Statista analyst, Charlotte Edny, reputation and the atmosphere within a company is very important for employee satisfaction. She also believes that colleagues working together doing important and valued work while being given the opportunity for training, all plays a part in that atmosphere.

In a statement from the university, Vice-Chancellor Professor David Richardson stated that he was: “pleased our employees identified UEA as one of the best places to work in the UK”.

The VC added that: “staff satisfaction is as important to the university as student satisfaction, but of course there is always more we can do as an employer to make sure those who work here are motivated and fulfilled in their role, and we’ll strive to continue offering a great place to work”.