UEA Athletics fare well at Indoor Championships

On Friday 21 Febuary, a seventeen strong team from the UEA Athletics club travelled to Sheffield to compete in a weekend of indoor athletics.

Untitled-4

The team enjoyed a very successful trip with multiple personal bests and two new club records for both men’s and women’s 4x200m relays. The event was complemented by a terrific atmosphere, with the club leaving Yorkshire extremely proud of all the athlete’s efforts and achievements.

Sophie East and Emma-Lou Wagstaff opened the event on Friday afternoon in the 60m; both finished fourth in their heats with Emma-Lou setting a new personal best of 8.35s.

The boys swiftly followed with Adam Vaughan clocking 7.56s to finish fifth and Tsurujiro Go setting a new personal best of 7.40s – the club will be sad to see him return to Japan at the end of the month.
Charlie Roe, president of the club, encountered some difficulties in the 60m hurdles due to a fellow competitor, resulting in him recording a time of 9.30s. He will be sure to improve this in time for summer decathlon events.

In the field, Danielle Hamilton, who celebrated her 23rd birthday on the Saturday, recorded a throw of 7.54m in the shot put, which was a huge 1.29m improvement on her personal best.

Miriam Arbach started her busy Saturday with a long jump of 5.06m to finish ninth in her pool. She then went on to clear 1.45m in the high jump to finish ninth once more; a sign that all her hard training has paid off.

Roe finished fifth in the long jump with a best jump of 6.57m, narrowly missing out on qualification for the final. He fared better in the high jump, easily qualifying for the final where he finished seventh after clearing 1.99m on the Sunday. James Vernon finished sixteenth in his first BUCS high jump competition after successfully jumping 1.65m.

It was an early start on Saturday for Nick Rees, who finished seventh in his 1500m heat in 4minutes 37s. Andy Holliman then went on to clock a time of 1minute 58s in the 800m heats to qualify for Sunday’s semi-final, where he finished fifth in a slightly slower time. After admitting he needs to work on his speed, the club are eagerly anticipating him racing at BUCS outdoors in May.

A flu-ridden Amardeep Sangha finished fourth in his 400m race in a respectable 53.6s, despite missing three weeks of training prior to the event. Fresher Griffin Shiel clocked 56.4s in his 400m heat; this is a promising start for his 400m hurdle summer campaign. After a solid winter of training, Sophie Morris finished fourth in her 400m heat with a time of 65.0seconds.

Saturday evening brought with it the most exciting races of the weekend – the 4x200m relays that inevitably involved upsets, falls and surprises. Fortunately, UEA avoided any mishaps, both teams finishing 3rd in their heats and breaking the club records; the women in a time of 1 minute 53.07s and the men 1 mintue 34.39.

On the Sunday morning, Sophie East, substituting for Danielle Hamilton, finished 4th in her 200m heat with Cerys Currie fifth , recording times of 27.31s and 28.51s respectively.

Vaughan and Go both finished fourth in their heats, in times of 24.39s and 23.88s for 200m. With indoor tracks typically producing slower times, these are promising for the start of the outdoor season.

The club are now working towards BUCS outdoors in May and Derby Day on the 16 March.

11/03/2014

sophieeast

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031