UEA Athletics perform admirably at Indoor Championships

UEA Athletics team last week joined 6,000 students in Sheffield for the Bucs National Indoor Athletics Championships at the EIS Indoor Track in Sheffield.

The event commenced with the men’s 60 m, where Myles Lynch (following a personal best (PB) the previous weekend) clocked 7.4 seconds, and Adam Vaughan crossed the line in 7.38 seconds. Unfortunately, neither progressed to the semis, but both were happy with how their training had transferred into competition.

Representing the women, Cerys Currie continued her indoor season of consistency running 8.51 seconds whilst Danielle Hamilton had an early birthday present of another PB of 8.35 seconds. Danielle has dropped 0.5 seconds from her PB this season, a testament to her hard work in training, and the sprint coaches Mike Utting and Nate Rogers.
A superb performance from Scott Greeves then saw him win his 800 m heat in a time of one minute and 55.52 seconds. Greeves led from the off, showing great maturity from an athlete in his first year of Bucs competition.

Victoria Onyeka ran a strong race in the women’s 400 m, but was unfortunately disqualified due to a lane infringement. In the men’s 400 m, Amardeep Sangha struggled with a persistent hamstring injury, resulting in a time that he is looking to reduce in ten weeks’ time at outdoors. Rest, ice, compression and elevation await!

In the field, Elise Williams reached 9.84 m in the triple jump, just 3 cm off her PB. Although slightly disappointed, she had the long jump to look forward to the next day.

The second day started with disappointment as the team learnt that the minibus had been broken into overnight, with the physiotherapy table stolen. Undeterred, Alfie Bentley brightened the teams’ mood by running a PB of four minutes and 40.9 seconds in the men’s 1500 m. He topped off his successful day by running the anchor leg in the four-by-200 m relay, with some coercion from the boys!

In the long jump, Elise Williams returned to the pit, recording a best jump of 4.53 m, whilst Sara Henderson, an experienced Bucs competitor, leapt to 4.23 m in the yellow and blue colours of UEA.

Back on the track, Scott Greeves ran a well-executed race in one minute and 54.65 seconds, but was unlucky to miss out on the final of the men’s 800 m. He will be looking to build on this Bucs experience in his next races and for the outdoors competition at Bedford in May.

Saturday evening bought the excitement of the four-by-200 m relay races. Adam Vaughan, Myles Lynch, Idrees Mughal and Alfie Bentley faced off against tough competition, just missing out on the final, while the female quartet of Sophie East, Elise Williams, Abielle Hallas and Emily Rogers finished third in a fast heat that included Brunel and Birmingham universities. The girls were happy to execute the race with no hiccups as all members were new to the hectic environment of the indoor relay events.

The final day saw UEA back at the track early ahead of the women’s 200 m races. Emily Rogers ran a confident race, despite an ongoing hamstring niggle, but was disqualified for a lane infringement and was unable to find out her time. Sophie East secured a season-best time of 27.91 seconds to just miss out on the club record and a place in the semi-finals. Both girls will be training hard to break the outdoor club record and reduce their times.

For the men, Myles Lynch was disappointed to run 23.7 seconds, despite finishing second in his heat and running a fast relay split the day before. Adam Vaughan finished his successful weekend with an indoor PB time of 24.1 seconds from the very tight bends of lane one.

Despite no athletes progressing to finals at this year’s indoor Bucs, the club were proud to send their biggest team yet and were regarded as the loudest supporters of the weekend. At times, the commentator had to pause to allow the team to support its athletes in true UEA fashion.

Derby Day is up next, and after the promise shown at Bucs, expect UEA Athletics to put on a good show.

Team: Sophie East, Cerys Currie, Sophie Morris, Emily Rogers, Natalie Herbert, Elise Williams, Abielle Hallas, Sara Henderson, Danielle Hamilton, Victoria Onyeka, Georgie Corkett, Adam Vaughan, Myles Lynch, Amardeep Sangha, Scott Greeves, Andy Holliman, Alfie Bentley, Idrees Mughal, Luke Dexter

10/03/2015

sophieeast

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031