UEA Athletics show potential

Last weekend saw UEA’s Athletics Club partake in two very different events – Bucs Cross Country and the London Indoor Games – as 2015 got underway.
13 distance athletes travelled down to Brighton last week to compete at the Bucs XC Championships, hosted by the University of Sussex at Stanmer Park. The men’s A race was a gruelling 12 km with plenty of hill, plenty of wind, and a hell of a lot of mud.

Nevertheless, the UEA men’s A team performed admirably in the conditions, with James Berehowskyj leading the home in 46:23 and a very solid 143rd place. Athletics team captain Jack Keywood followed a way behind, narrowly beating one of his Tonbridge AC clubmates in 49:00 and 204th place. Not far behind him was Andy Holliman in 49:40 and 220th place. Recreational Running Coordinator, Alfie Bentley, finished next in 50:46 and 235th place, with Chihaya Hirai finishing strongly in 54:44 and 277th place.

Next up was the women’s race (6.4 km), in which our female athletes performed very well following warm up runs in the EACCL. Sarah Imbush led the team with another fantastic run and our only sub-100th place run of the championships in 27:04 and 84th place. Next up was Sophie Morris, already very well transitioned from sprints to distance with a 28.29 in 144th place. Kate Robinson was UEA’s next runner who, despite falling on the first corner, still finished in a very respectable 30:12 and 211th place. Unfortunately, Immy Turner had to drop out of the women’s race due to injury; though not too serious, the move was a wise pre-emptive measure to prevent any further damage.

The men’s B race (8 km) was the last race of the day and featured two returning performances from Jamie Short and Dennis Cross, who have both been recovering from injury for the duration of the season. Short put in a blistering performance to lead the men’s B team home in 30:59 and 126th place, with Cross finishing with a 32:34 in 184th place. Rowan Braham was UEA’s next runner home, and despite falling on the last corner still persevered with a sprint to finish strongly in 33:57 and 232nd place, ahead of James Biondi who managed 34:30, coming in 250th place.

Meanwhile, the sprinters took a trip to Lee Valley Athletics Centre in London to test their speed ahead of the Bucs indoor competition in Sheffield from the 21st – 23rd February.

On day one, Danielle Hamilton ran a massive personal best (PB) of 28.59 in the 200m, beating her original best by 1.74 seconds, with Victoria Onyeka also running well in the same heat with a time of 28.43. Club president, Sophie East, ran an excellent heat to place second with a time of 27.68, ahead of a returning Emily Rogers, also in the same heat, who ran a comfortable race following an absence from indoor competitions. German Cepeda Lestrade also ran well to a time of 27.5 seconds, but his focus will now turn to the 60 m, which is his preferred event. Sara Henderson was disappointed with a jump of 4.04 m in the long jump, but she has already identified where the improvements are needed ahead of the upcoming Bucs tournament.

On day two, Jake Matthew and Beau Berney secured two 60 m PBs of 7.39 and 7.31 in successive races, while Adam Vaughan equalled his PB in round one with 7.40 and found even more time to finish with a 7.35 in round two.

Real Iddy completed the succession of PBs with a time of 7.52. In the women’s heats, Danielle Hamilton continued her impressive running on day two, with two 60m PBs of 8.57 and 8.50, beating her previous best by 0.32 seconds, while Cerys Currie maintained her good form with a 8.53 in round one and 8.54 in round two. To finish off a great weekend, Alex Joseph jumped 6.18 m in the long jump, showing some great potential in time for Bucs.

For regular updates, make sure to follow @ueaathletics on Twitter.

10/02/2015

sophieeast

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “UEA Athletics show potential”

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031