UEA has decided to cancel graduation in July later this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic. UEA’s Vice Chancellor Prof David Richardson said he had taken the decision “with great sadness”. The University confirmed the graduation ceremonies have not been postponed but outrightly cancelled, although in an email to students Prof Richardson said “we will explore if there are options in the future to mark and celebrate your hard work when we are in a position to do so”.

In his email to students the Vice Chancellor wrote: “I want to assure you that this decision has not been taken lightly, as I understand that graduation ceremonies are the culmination of years of hard work for students, where you come together to celebrate with staff, family and friends.

“However, our Graduation ceremonies involve thousands of people travelling to campus from across the globe, and as the COVID-19 pandemic develops it would not be appropriate to hold such an event – for the safety of our staff, students and their guests. This is in line with the Government’s advice to cancel large-scale events to prevent the spread of the virus, and you will have seen some of this summer’s festivals and sports events in the UK and across the world also being cancelled over the past few days, most notably July’s Tokyo Olympic Games.

“While in the current unprecedented environment we unfortunately cannot make a specific alternative arrangements at this time, but we will explore if there are options in the future to mark and celebrate your hard work when we are in a position to do so.”

Students will now receive their graduation certificates “by post” over the summer.