Since 2010, UEA has consistently ranked within the global top 200 universities (Times Higher Education Rankings). The highest position UEA achieved in this decade was 145 in the 2012 edition of the chart. The 2020 chart places UEA at 192. This makes UEA one of six UK non-Russell group universities to be in the global top 200. 

UEA is among the 28 UK universities to be included in the top 200 this year; Oxford topping the chart. The UK has however seen a decline in the number of universities within the top 200 from 34 in 2016 to this year’s 28, with many of the remaining universities seeing a decline in chart performance – UEA falling two places from last year’s ranking of 190. 

UEA student Estella Brown, reacting to the university’s chart placement, stated that it is, assuring to know that the university is well ranked. She also said, however, her decision to choose UEA was centered more around the the attributes of her individual course (American Literature with Creative Writing)rather than league tables. Another UEA student, Lucy Pilgrim, said her decision to study at UEA was somewhat based on the fact her course (American Literature and English Literature)comes up quite highly in the course-specific league tables but that the global ranking, was definitely something [she] considered. The league tables do generate an added level of visibility to the featured universities, however, the numbers can fluctuate significantly year by year.    

According to BBC News, there are now fears Brexit could cause UK universities to fall further in future rankings if they lose access to EU research partnerships after leaving the European Union. Meanwhile, Germany has massively increased its presence within the top 200 from three to 23 universities at present.