UEA hit Essex for six in women’s hockey

The UEA Women’s Hockey team made light work of their Essex opponents with a crushing 6-0 victory under the floodlights at Sportspark.

UEA Ladies came into the game having lost just two games all year in their league fixtures and didn’t look back from the word go.

The game began with both teams feeling each other out and trying to impose their game plan. UEA applied pressure with a large number of patient passes used to push and pull the opposition out of place and create openings. The high pressure resulted in several chances, but the Essex keeper maintained her composure in the early stages to preserve the 0-0 scoreline.

The fast paced UEA passing began to show on the Essex team,  and it looked to be just a matter of time before the first goal went in. A series of short corners saw Essex clear the ball away from their goalline, with one such clearance allowing the visitors to break into the UEA half for the first time without testing the home goalkeeper. Essex struggled to play the ball out from the 16 and a misplaced pass and quick thinking led to an easy goal for Laura Graham through the keeper’s legs. UEA were straight back on the front foot from the restart and a short corner led to the second goal, scored by Micayla Tootill.

A few minutes later and Kirsy Smith dribbled around four players before being stopped in her tracks. Fortunately the ball then fell kindly after some scrappy play and Laura Graham was  in the right place at the right time and clinically put the ball away for a 3-0 lead just before half time.

The second half began much as the first half had ended with UEA applying pressure and Essex struggling to find any rhythm. Kirsty Smith won a short corner after miraculously keeping the ball on the pitch. Georgia Cleveland then capitalised with a low drag flick into the bottom left corner of the goal which bounced over the onrushing efenders stick.

By this stage it was clear that Essex had really struggled to make any sort of impression in this game, and that ultimately, the contest was won. Almost immediately, another short corner provided another goal for Cleveland on the restart with a well worked routine which saw UEA go 5-0 up. Essex gave away a penalty flick just a couple of minutes later, which gave UEA the chance to further increase the scoreline and embarress their visiting opponents.Rachel Millar converted the penalty flick to make it 6-0 to the hosts with not long left to play. The game finished 6-0 to UEA to add further gloss to proceedings and another point to the overall Derby Day tally.

18/03/2017

nickczubin

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31