With the start of a new semester comes the start of a brand new season for the UEA Hockey Club, and what an exciting season it is going to be! Whether you have been playing since you were two years old or have never seen a hockey stick before, UEA HC is more than happy to welcome you with open arms.

Over Freshers week there have been so many opportunities to get involved and the turnout was incredible. The two welcome sessions saw so many new players come in, of all abilities and all ages. UEA HC is one of the biggest sport clubs on campus, and with over 120 members, five women’s teams and four men’s teams, there is plenty of opportunity to play for all of our members. And after such a wonderful turnout of freshers, the club continues to grow!

However, it is not all about training and playing matches. There are socials every week for both the men’s and women’s teams to get involved with. Last year, there were team socials, mixed socials and full club socials meaning everyone can get to know each other whilst having a good old boogie in the LCR. This year, we have a whole new committee including brand new captains for all the teams.

Phoebe Sowerby, the Ladies’ 3s captain, commented, “I’m really excited to be the ladies 3xi captain this year as I have a great squad and some brilliant new players coming in!”

She went on to say, “Being captain in a club like UEA HC is fantastic because the support from both team mates and others in the club is always there and there is never a dull moment.” 

“UEA HC is a great club to join as it feels like you are part of a family!”

We are always looking for new members to join this incredible club. If you like the sound of it, please come along to our training sessions:

The women’s teams train from 6-7pm on Mondays, and 5-6:30pm on Fridays.

The men’s team also train on a Monday, but a bit later, from 8-10pm, as well as on a Tuesday from 5-7pm.

To keep up to date with hockey related news, scores, training times and fixtures, follow @hockeyueamens and @ueawomenshockey on Instagram.

Here’s to a wonderful new year of hockey!