UEA January news in brief

Uea(SU) continue pro-Palestine boycott

Union Council has voted to continue the SU’s boycott and divestment sanctions to support Palestinian interests. During the debate the Council’s Vice-Chair said Uea(su) should show it does not align with the Israel state. Jewish Society’s Daniel Burns called the policy “anti-Semitic”. Later in the same night Council voted in favour of formally adopting the IHRA’s definition of anti-Semitism.

SU newspaper boycott remains

Union Council has also voted in favour of retaining a ban of the sale of The Sun, The Daily Mirror and The Daily Star in SU outlets. Councillor Lewis Martin called all three papers “racist”, “transphobic” and “trash”. Martin did not provide evidence for any of these claims. 88% of Council voted to maintain the ban.

University reassures students after Coronavirus outbreak

Jon Sharp, the director of Student Services, has attempted to reassure students worried about an outbreak of Coronavirus that has made global headlines. In a university-wide email Mr Sharp wrote: “the health and wellbeing of our students and staff is of the highest priority, and we are continuing to closely review the situation.” He added: “We know that Chinese New Year is a time of celebration for many people but we understand there may be students have concerns around family and friends in China. Please contact Student Services by email at studentsupport@uea.ac.uk, call us on 01603 592761, or come and see us in person if you have any concerns.”

Mental health toolbox for councillors

Union Council has backed a motion to “run mental health awareness sessions for those councillors and club and society committee members wishing to partake”. 95% voted in favour, 0% against and 5% abstained.

28/01/2020

Chris Matthews

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031