UEA Lacrosse: the season so far for the Eagles of Norwich

The graduation of a number of senior players last year meant that it was imperative for the club to recruit as many new members as possible this year to continue the progression seen by both teams over the previous campaign. The start of the year has been a very successful one at UEA Lacrosse. The teams have found themselves full of new players, who have picked up the sport quicker than ever envisioned, and who have immersed themselves fully as great additions, both on and off the pitch.

On the field, the men’s team has made a strong start to the season under the leadership of Greg Reynolds, going unbeaten in their first three Bucs fixtures ahead of a crucial away fixture against Leicester next week. A 16-4 opening day win at home against Lincoln has been supplemented since, with wins against Oxford Brookes (Away, 11-3) and Derby (Home, 14-4).

Paul Anderson has been a star turn in midfield, his mazy runs causing problems for all defences encountered thus far, proving a great compliment to current leading goal scorer, veteran Mikey Bolton. The new faces on the team have formed a large portion of the match day squads (12 of the 23 who faced Oxford Brookes were freshers) so the results are a testament to their development as players, and their commitment to the team.

The ladies team, led by Emi Collin, has also seen a lot of progression over the opening weeks of the season. An incredibly close 10-9 away loss to Warwick preceded a very high scoring affair against Leicester (Home, 15-26), and a valiant performance against an excellent Birmingham outfit.

Last week saw a home double header for both teams, where the team pulled off a fantastic performance to claim their first win of the season against Nottingham Trent. Club secretary Charlotte Miller has been a revelation in her new role as centre, and a special mention goes to Tegan Raye, who scored the first fresher goal of the season against Trent. Credit also goes to Georgie Sutton, whose inspired performances in goal have been a catalyst for the improving results observed.

To aid in the progression of those new to the sport, both teams are entering a development tournament next weekend. This exciting day out was loved by those in attendance last year, which should hopefully yield some even stronger performances going forward. The next home games are on the 25th November for the men’s at 14:00 against Staffordshire, and the 2nd December for the ladies at 14:30 against Warwick.

Ryan O’Grady
UEA Lacrosse President

17/11/2015

ryanogrady

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31