UEA launches ‘Productivity East’

UEA has launched a new centre devoted to engineering, technology, and management on its award-winning campus.

Announced back in 2019, the focus of the centre, called Productivity East, is set to improve productivity, and address global challenges related to manufacturing, while finding innovative ways to support the region’s manufacturing and technology sectors. The hope is that students, academics, and businesses will work concomitantly to achieve these aims. The centre, costing £7.4m, boasts facilities including a CAD studio, robotics laboratory and advanced 3D printing technology.

Professor Fiona Lettice, Pro-Vice Chancellor of Research and Innovation at UEA has stated: “At the heart of Productivity East are the engineers of the future. It will support businesses in our region enabling them to work alongside world-class researchers and students to discover practical solutions to current and future challenges.”

Supported with £4.5m funding from New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership’s Growth Deal with government and formulated in unification with New Anglia Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering (NAAME), Productivity East will begin to offer Continuing Professional Development programmes to address skill gaps, benefiting students and industries by working together to achieve a common aim.

According to Chris Starkie, chief executive of New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership, “Our manufacturing sector is worth £5.2bn and underpins productivity and innovation in other areas, so this facility is an investment in a vital part of our economy and will enable us to grow and compete nationally and internationally.”

With Tech East’s Chief Operating Officer, Tim Robinson, suggesting the new facility on UEA campus will represent a major step forward in advancing technology and associated companies in the East of England, Productivity East also represents an exciting step forward, and advancement for the university itself.

05/10/2021

Una Jones

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31