UEA Launches the Sustainable UEA Awards

Nominations have now opened for the SustainableUEA Awards: a new programme that recognises the sustainable efforts and achievements of staff and students at UEA.  

The programme aims to celebrate the work of students and staff in making UEA a more sustainable place –  as well as efforts to make local, regional and international communities more sustainable for current and future generations. 

Submissions to the Sustainable UEA Awards will be judged by a panel made up of sustainability specialists from the public, private and civil society sectors, as well as members of the UEA community. 

There are six awards to apply for. All of the awards will be judged using the UN Sustainable Development Goals as a framework to evaluate their environmental impact, with a virtual ceremony and celebration of the winners on Wednesday 24 March. 

The six awards are:

Sustainability Champion (staff only) – This award recognises UEA staff who are implementing sustainability projects or initiatives, including staff who work away in the background to make UEA more sustainable.

Student Leadership (students only) – This award recognises students with excellent leadership skills; who have encouraged, empowered and inspired others to take sustainable action.

Education for Sustainable Development -This recognizes both staff and student achievements in developing sustainable academic courses, skills and capabilities.

Green Campus – This recognises staff and students who have identified and implemented projects to improve biodiversity or sustainability on campus.

Community Engagement – this recognises staff and students who are collaborating beyond UEA to further a sustainable development cause or an initiative; particularly those which have included marginalised groups.

Creativity –  This recognises staff and students who inspire others to think differently and creatively when it comes to sustainability and environmental issues; taking action in a new and original way.

You can nominate yourself or anyone else at UEA for as many awards as you wish. Colleagues, friends, classmates, housemates, lecturers, advisers – if they’ve championed sustainability at UEA between 2019 and 2021, this is your chance to celebrate their achievements.

Submissions can be made in a variety of formats, including video, photography, artwork, digital, performance piece or a  written submission. You must create a separate application form for each entry. Applications must be submitted to the Sustainable UEA Awards web page by 12 noon on Wednesday 24 February.

Katherine Middleton, Environmental Management System and Waste Manager, who chairs the working group said: During these difficult times, we hope the awards will spread positivity and provide encouragement that we can all play a part in making UEA and communities more sustainable.” By highlighting the work of change makers and change enablers at UEA, the SustainableUEA awards hope to inspire UEA Students to take sustainable action and connect with existing efforts. This is particularly vital in 2021, as it’s an important year for global sustainability; the US is reentering the Paris Climate Agreement, the UN Biodiversity Conference takes place in Kunming, China this May and the UN Climate Change Conference COP26 will be held in Glasgow this November. The students and staff of UEA now have an opportunity to put their efforts on the map too. 

09/02/2021

Meg Watts

123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930