Books

UEA Live: Autumn 2021 Lineup

UEA Live is celebrating its 30th anniversary with a bang!

The festival is dedicated to celebrating creativity across all platforms and literary types, inspiring audiences to read and create until their hearts are content. This event celebrates authors from all origins in a brilliant, beautiful way, and this year is no different. 

UEA Live will be off on October 6, with New York Times bestselling author Lauren Groff. Groff will be discussing her newest historical novel, ‘Matrix’, celebrating queerness, womanhood and female power. Groff will be in discussion with Sara Taylor, UEA alum and ‘The Shore’ author.

On October 13, ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race UK’ star Bimini Bon Boulash will be discussing ‘Release the Beast: A Drag Queen’s Guide to Life’, their debut book, with UEA Live Co-director and Creative Writing lecturer KR Moorhead. In this book, Boulash discusses the transformative life lessons of drag, as well as bringing forward the conversation of gender-nonconformity.

October 20 hosts Jade LB, Lemara Lindsay-Prince, and Jyoti Patel who will be discussing #Merky Books, the Penguin Random House imprint curated by Stormzy. They will be talking about their iconic individual pieces, as well as the importance of imprints such as #Merky Books.

October 27 sees Elizabeth Day celebrating her newest psychological thriller, ‘Magpie’, which discusses motherhood, power, and jealousy. With titles such as journalist, podcast host, and bestselling author, Day will explore running themes across her work with Christie Watson, one of UEA’s Professors of Medical and Health Humanities. 

On November 3, Leone Ross is set to discuss her writing journey with UEA’s Professor of Modern Literatures, Alison Donnell. Her journey includes her latest novel, ‘This One Sky Day’, and being the editor of the first Black British anthology of speculative fiction, which comes out in 2022. 

The penultimate speaker is former Labour Leader Ed Miliband, who will be discussing the issues of inequality, housing, the climate crisis, and the need for change through his book ‘Go Big: How To Fix Our World’. On November 10, he will be proposing an interesting, and uplifting, set of solutions for the issues of today’s society. This will be chaired by Alan Finlayson, Professor of Political and Social Theory.

Closing UEA Live will be Malika Booker, on the 17 November. As the co-founder of Malika’s Poetry Kitchen, she will discuss the upcoming anthology ‘Too Young, Too Loud, Too Different’ with scriptwriter and poet Molly Naylor. This anthology celebrates a range of literature from a collective of writers and poets, across 20 years.

As plans stand, these events are to be held in person in the Lecture Theatres on campus. As well as listening to their talks, you will have the opportunity to ask any questions in a Live Q&A and buy the speaker’s books. You can buy tickets, or find out more information, via the UEA Live website https://bit.ly/3CXdi82. 

With a lineup of such incredible writers, I know for a fact I’ll be in the audience, hanging on to every word.

14/09/2021

Louise Collins

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930