Students at UEA and Kingston University teamed up to curate an exclusive catwalk show on the eve of London Fashion Week.

fashion show

Photo: The Rolling Rack

The showcase, ‘Explosion’, featured wood based clothing made from low carbon materials such as cork, bamboo and living plants and was held at Queen Elizabeth Hall on London’s Southbank.

The project was based at UEA’s Adapt Low Carbon Group and supported by InCrops, who work with the creative industries and other sectors to develop concepts and prototypes based on sustainable materials . The aim was for young designers to think about the environmental impact of the fashion industry, and how it can reduce its carbon footprint in the future, while still creating luxury wearable fashion.

Kingston University student Minka Lusse won London Mayor Boris Johnson’s Low Carbon Prize with her sawdust insulated jacket, which featured in the show. She said: ”I have always been interested in sustainability and the development of our environment. My final product was a winter jacket, filled with wood shavings for insulation. Finding a viable use for this common waste product allows the reduction of carbon emissions created during the manufacture of synthetic hollow fibers. Wood shavings can also be used as a substitute for feathers and downs, which are often sourced unethically through plucking of live poultry.”

The young designers presented their environmentally friendly collection to the general public as well as industry experts and environmentalists.