UEA men’s first team got back to their winning ways in the league after an inspired performance by goalkeeper Tom Smith ensured the one UEA goal was all that mattered for victory.

Bradenham Wanderers spurned a huge chance to get ahead early on after Smith saved a penalty, given away by Captain Henry Clark, before saving again from the rebound.

The threat was not over as Bradenham shot again, this time cleared off the line by midfielder Josh Pond.

Bradenham would not have such a chance again and UEA scored soon after with a scrappy goal at the other end.

A cross was not cleared by the opposition defence and the ball dropped to Jake Conway who fired high into the roof of the net.

The second half had a glut of chances that neither side could capitalise on.

The U’s created a lot down winger Luke Young’s flank, who could have made it 2-0 had a last-ditch tackle from a defender not saved the visiting team.

Smith was called into action again with more saves but could do little as a low shot from the away side agonisingly slipped past him, only to luckily deflect off his post and away.

Another huge chance fell to midfielder George Maw who could only place his first-time flick wide after good work from substitute Jenson Bark on the left.

With both teams tiring the U’s played a nice passing move through the Bradenham midfield but the final effort from Charlie Thompson was fired wide.

UEA can take pride in the result and the chances created.

The UEA reserve team nearly racked up a cricket score after smashing Costessey for six at their own ground.

Forwards Chris Ariwa, Kenta Yamamoto and Zak Harkin scored a hattrick, a brace and a goal respectively, while attacking midfielder Oscar Pettit claimed a hattrick of assists for UEA.