UEA Men’s rugby challenged in BUCs premier performance

For many first-year members of the UEA Men’s Rugby team, the opening day of the BUCS season was their first taste of the University Rugby Union leagues.

Following the losses for all three teams on Wednesday 9th, the team’s Instagram page posted the caption: “a tough start for the boys in blue”.

The Men’s first team played on home ground, Colney Lane, on Wednesday against Birmingham’s second team and lost 18 to 5, having scored only one try against a strong defence from Birmingham, courtesy of Team Captain Tom Abraham. The opposing team gained two tries with one conversion.

East Anglia’s second team also suffered defeat, 25 – 12 against Nottingham’s fourth team. The game was gruelling as Nottingham obtained 4 tries with one conversion and were awarded a penalty despite an admirable fight from East Anglia, scoring 2 tries.

The third team also took a loss playing Nottingham Trent’s fourth team at home who won 45 to 7 with Alfie Cardwell-Brown scoring a try resulting in a converted try.

Post-game, Team Captain Hugo Hodgkins said: “as Captain I was very disappointed with the result. We went into the game with the majority of the team being first year students. But I still believe in my team and there is a lot of talent that will come in handy throughout the year.”

Overall, “the boys in blue” put up an admirable fight and despite their losses, it seems they’re still the team to watch, with the new first years bringing fresh talent to the table, making for an exciting season to come.

22/10/2019

Charlotte Sykes

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031